What planes sold in 2010

Roger Lee

I checked and these are only registered aircraft and not necessarily sold units to individuals. Some of these were just registered and are still sitting at dealers. I guess you would have to go onto the FAA site and look up each one and see if they are sold units.

This list is not true reflection of units sold to individuals or even in the US.

LSA Sales 2010 (2).pdf

I'm curious. Do these #s include N# changes? New owner registrations?

How many a/c does FDUSA say were sold in 2010?

Don Johnson's website www.bydanjohnson.com/index.cfm?b=1&m=5&i=36 lists 323 CTs registered in the USA at the end of 2010. So does that mean FD averaged selling like 65@yr for 5 years and fell off a cliff in 2010? The "recession" is going on 3 years old. Does that explain it all?

I'm confused...but that happens easily lately.

Bill

I'm sorry to see that not a single new Sky Arrow was registered. I know the factory has been changing hands, having been in some sort of Italian form of bankruptcy, and limited supply may have something to do with it.

One thing that made me feel better about my Sky Arrow was that 3i had been around since 1947! Just goes to show there are no guarantees.

That said, the numbers across the board are pretty sad. Hard to imagine staying in business with numbers like those shown - even the leaders are nothing to get excited about.

These number are really dissapointing. I am amazed with the Remos goose egg. I have flown the GTX and it is a nice airplane. I think I've read that one tenth of one percent of the American population has a pilot's certificate? Times have to be good to have meaningful sales of aircraft, especially expensive new aircraft, with such a small number of people involved. I want to see all types of LSA aircraft start selling again but it just doesn't look like this will happen very soon, if at all with the economic conditions we're in.

The government must know (or needs to realize) that flying isn't a one way street that is a giveaway to pilots. It generates jobs and cash for the U.S. and offers vital services for small communities. It has been discussed but maybe the FAA will eliminate the medical for private pilot? A friend who's a retired commercial pilot just purchased a beautifully restored Piper Colt for $18,000. New paint, new interior, zero time engine but needs $10K to $15K of avionics to be really nice. There are thousands of these hangar queens sitting around waiting to be dusted off and flown.

I was told last week by the main distributor of CT aircraft in the UK, that an order for a new CTLS placed in April wouldn't be delivered until September such is the worldwide demand for them - just glad I've got mine now :D

Ian, very interesting info. My friend bought his CTLS a few years ago during the "good times" and he had to wait 6 months to take delivery of this aircraft. Perhaps the economic conditions are quite a bit better overseas than here in the U.S. since I believe that there are new CTLS's on dealer lots waiting for buyers? Maybe I'm wrong about this but this is my impression of things here. Perhaps also it is good news for FD if they have a backlog of buyers in Europe waiting for delivery of their new CT's? Must mean that the FD factory is busy?

Ian, very interesting info. My friend bought his CTLS a few years ago during the "good times" and he had to wait 6 months to take delivery of this aircraft. Perhaps the economic conditions are quite a bit better overseas than here in the U.S. since I believe that there are new CTLS's on dealer lots waiting for buyers? Maybe I'm wrong about this but this is my impression of things here. Perhaps also it is good news for FD if they have a backlog of buyers in Europe waiting for delivery of their new CT's? Must mean that the FD factory is busy?

Dick, not at all sure, it could of course have just been the distributor wanting me to believe I've done the right thing (I'm pretty sure I have!!), but the impression I got was that the bulk of the business is US oriented, certainly most European economies are pretty sluggish right now.

Perhaps one issue is the variety of models they have now with the classic CTLS, the MC etc.? I have no idea what their poduction capacity is in the Ukraine.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 year later...

Looks like the LSA industry is consolidating around the top 8 or so on that list. The others can't survive more than a few years with 0-3 sales a year. Looks to be a good time to get a deal on a new Remos though, the dealers would probably do anything to make that sale at this point.

Archived