The Dreaded 180 turn back on Takoff

207WF

See the attached for the relationship of g-force to bank. 60 degrees = 2g, 45 degrees = 1.5g and 30 degrees is 1.1g. I definitely believe the Navy's recommendation of a 30 degree bank is the most prudent by giving you plenty of room for error. Assume a clean stall of 42 (straight and level), this becomes 60 at 60 degrees and 54 at 45 degrees and 44 at 30 degrees. Going with the 68kt best glide and 45 degrees will work but exceeding that bank and maybe pulling the nose up a tad in the heat of the moment (thus reducing airspeed) could easily get you killed. 30 degrees would keep you in the safe zone with plenty of margin, provided you have the alitutde.

post-27-0-05838000-1307993514_thumb.gif

I think that if you don't load the wing you can turn much more steeply and that would work out better. Yes, you have to hold the nose down and be descending to keep the wing unloaded, but that is not hard. WF

You will only pull those G's per bank angle in a level turn which your not doing while descending. That being said steep bank angles would increase the decent rate and may cause you to try to pull up more, losing more speed and increasing the risk of stall.

I think that if you don't load the wing you can turn much more steeply and that would work out better. Yes, you have to hold the nose down and be descending to keep the wing unloaded, but that is not hard. WF

Correct. The factors for increasing stall speed are for level banked turns. If you are have the wing unloaded (less angle of attack), the stall speed is less. But if you're trimmed for 80 kt (Vy) and the engine quits, the aircraft will want to fly at about 80kt, and unless you pull aft stick, the aircraft will descend.

Doug

What are the implications when returning to the high elevation field? Clearly you have a bit more ground speed for the same indicated airspeed so you either have to cover more distance or bank steeper. Banking steeper increases risk, but what about covering more distance? I'm thinking that the return is a matter of time so the extra distance isn't a big factor, terrain permitting. Dead sticking at high elevation again has the higher ground speed and therefore more risk.

Locally we have high terrain in the pattern and high terrain to avoid in any turn back on take off which brings me to the question of "route". This thread is titled ...180 turn back... but thats a misnomer isn't it? Is it better to do a 90 degree turn in 1 direction followed by a 270 which should align you with the runway or to do more of a teardrop?

• 3 months later...

Hi Fellows,

please take a look at this video:

This has happened recently at my neighbourhood. As you can see, the pilot wasn't able to move controls. No rudder and no elevator movement.

It was a very experienced pilot and the ground came before he was ready with his "missispies".

Kind regards

Markus

Archived