BRS 1350HS 'Chute

NC Bill

Re-reading the POH on a cold and wintery Sunday in NC. It refers to the BRS "operating handbook published by the manufacturer (BRS)".

No such handbook came with my used CTLS. I checked the BRS website pretty carefully and can't find one there.

Does such a handbook exist and if so can someone scan and post a copy? Or email one to me?

I'm most interested in minimum deployment altitudes.

Thanks!

Bill

n201sx@gmail.com

Bill, we've discussed your thought about pulling the chute. Don't know if you have read thru the threads about these discussions or not? You may have the right thought about pulling the chute even with a straight ahead landing on what might appear to be a hospitable surface. I have seen one CTLS and one Tecnam that were landed on what appeared to be open fields after loosing the engines. The CT was cruising at altitude when the engine quit and was totalled on landing, yet the pilot and passenger walked away. The Tecnam lost the engine on takeoff and was landed on a Soybean field that was right next to the runway. Whitnesses said it looked as if the pilot had the landing made but the field surface "grabbed" the landing gear, forced it up thru the floor and this killed the pilot. My friend is a many thousand hour commercial pilot and after considering situations such as these, he feels that unless the surface is a road or hard packed turf, that it might be better to pull the chute and have a better chance for survival and better chance for less damage than not pulling the chute and taking your chances. My thoughts are the same.

Dick - I have owned 2 CIRRI, followed the COPA forum for 7 years now where each and every accident and BRS deployment is hashed and rehashed. I am a firm believer and congregant at the Church of BRS.

I heard said the 3 most worthless things in aviation are the sky above you, the runway behind you and the 'chute you didn't deploy.

My procedure in the CT is to use the chute at any point a safe recovery is in doubt. Above '500 I'd chose a "pull" over almost any surface except hard and 2000'. Looking down from above it's not likely I'll see the hidden dangers in that field, or the power lines along that road, etc. Add to that the pressure of the moment. Danger Will Robinson...Danger.

Anyhow, that's why I bought a CT. It has a BRS.

Bill, I'm with you regarding buying the CT because it has a BRS. This was a major "plus" (especially for my wife, who is not a pilot). It is interesting that a lot of my "long time pilot" friends could really care less about me buying a plane with a parachute. After flying with me a good number of times along with seeing accounts of BRS deployments saving airplane occupants, they are starting to indicate that having a parachute "might not be a bad idea". I know that there's no guarantees in life but I'm still glad that I have that little red handle between my seats that might give me some better odds someday if it needs to be pulled.

Archived