CTLS included in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator

KentWien

So I am sure you have already seen some of the amazing pictures of the newest flight simulator from Microsoft. It includes a global scenery database that is simply stunning. It almost makes me wanna go out and buy a PC just for this simulator, and I am not a simulator guy.

The other exciting news is that in every version of the flight simulator 2020 the Flight Design CTLS is included. Perhaps that will get more people interested in Flight Design. It can’t hurt. 

Kent

CTLS in Flight Simulator 2020?  I'm stoked!

I have a VR headset, and the last I heard MS reversed course and decided to include VR support in FS2020.  If true, flying a CTLS in VR is going to be a *great* training and practice tool.  BTW if you have not played a flight sim in VR, it's amazing and immersive; the ability you use your hands to operate controls and to have stereoscopic, 3d vision really makes you feel like you're there.

Yeah, but $27.50 on top of the $60 for X-plane...ouch. 

One thing I don't love about X-plane is all airplanes feel pretty generic in it, and fly relatively the same.  I flew a freeware CTSW in X-Plane, and it felt pretty much identical to the 172.  I'm hoping FS2020 will have flight modeling that really makes airplanes feel more unique.

Don't get me wrong, I like XP.  But it always feels a little unpolished and unfinished to me.

Well, I haven't seen anything yet that really captures the CT accurately, and I have the XP/CT model but haven't flown it much yet so I'll take a look. I can agree with you about the freeware CT and older versions, but XP 11 right now is the most sophisticated sim I've got of the ones out there. (i.e., from a systems standpoint since you can fly a C172 with a G1000 for intsance and XP's) other than the Heatblur F-14B in DCS World which does capture the airplane with amazing accuracy. Of course, you get what you pay for; DCS was free but the F-14 model cost around $80.  FS 2020 is preordering at $60 and then if you want to get 5 more airplanes and you step up to $90 and 10 you go to $120 and whether its flight models are really better is still TBD.  I am looking forward to seeing it, especially if I can fly the same model airplane I have experience in in both sims and see how they compare.

13 hours ago, Andy said:

Well, I haven't seen anything yet that really captures the CT accurately, and I have the XP/CT model but haven't flown it much yet so I'll take a look. I can agree with you about the freeware CT and older versions, but XP 11 right now is the most sophisticated sim I've got of the ones out there. (i.e., from a systems standpoint since you can fly a C172 with a G1000 for intsance and XP's) other than the Heatblur F-14B in DCS World which does capture the airplane with amazing accuracy. Of course, you get what you pay for; DCS was free but the F-14 model cost around $80.  FS 2020 is preordering at $60 and then if you want to get 5 more airplanes and you step up to $90 and 10 you go to $120 and whether its flight models are really better is still TBD.  I am looking forward to seeing it, especially if I can fly the same model airplane I have experience in in both sims and see how they compare.

No doubt X-plane is the best civilian sim out there currently, with DCS tops for military sims.  I hope FS2020 displaces one or both (competition is good!), but we'll have to wait and see on that.  I have not heard much about how FS2020's flight model is designed.

• 1 month later...

The model in FS 2020 is a CTSL instead of a CTLS.  Got a cockpit closer to a CT2K or older SW.  Great photorealism from the sim and the visibility out of the airplane is close to the real thing.  Much easier to fly a VFR pattern than in most flight sims.  The flight model seemed pretty good but the airport modeling was way off for KLVJ (controlled field when not aand lots of bigness that doesn't really exist). Lots of sim controller tweaking necessary because I used an older CH Pro FlightStick and rudder pedal set.  I do have the sim settings set up high, a fairly new Alienware system running it, and glad I do.  Right now, I like the VSKYLABS CTLS with X Plane 11 better but it's still early and I will get the FS 2020 model tweaked down.  Does make the X Plane 11 environment seem pretty dated...

Been playing around with the CTSL in FS2020 for a couple of hours.  It's pretty good.  Some observations:

Instruments are in metric and placards in French...blech!

The airplane flies pretty similarly to an actual CT, but the visibility is worse than reality.

It spins pretty well, but will fly itself out of one if you don't continue pro-spin inputs.  I don't know if that's realistic or not...

The sim terrain and weather are pretty phenomenal.

The controller configuration is not intuitive and is kind of a goat rodeo.

Oh, you can input your N number and ATC will use it and it will appear on the airplane.  Neat!

• 1 month later...

I got the FS2020 sim, and equipment to run it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I found the instrumentation in the CT  on the sim to be AWFUL!  Not sure if it's the SL versus LS, but there's no heading indicator or attitude indicator.  At least on my version.  Also, the GPS is extremely undetailed and rudimentary.  From what I've seen, this aircraft is unique in the FS fleet in this regard.

Am I missing something?

Andy