Seeking ideas for mounting my ipad/iphone using foreflight

Tumbleweed

Here's my solution, have been very pleased with this location since adapting the Ipad mini here.  A larger size device might be more of an obstruction issue, I find the mini is mostly hidden by the pillar.  I'm smaller size at 5'6" and seat position and height of pilot is a factor here as well.  I think my second choice would be off the left side of the panel.  This upper area mount I worked out is rock solid, seems real natural in the scan too.

I run the iPhone off a suction cup mount on the door glass, but that is not used much for flight app's, more so the music and a handy spot to keep it secure.  That works well too, buy Ram products, avoid the China junk.

9 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

I go between grassstripflyboy’s method/location and a ram mount attached to the side of the mushroom like below.  Both are out of the way. I find the mushroom mounting makes it easier to reach when you need to annotate, pan, zoom, etc in ForeFlight. 

I have the same setup.  Works nicely.  Mostly out of the way, but still easily accessible and viewable.

• 1 year later...

Screws.  I went with this RAP-B-202U, the base has some rib features to it, and sanded it down to make a contour that matches the side of mushroom.  There is a seam line on side of mushroom that is stiffer, located it there.  Others have made a stiffener to double on the inside which is also a good idea.  Keep the mount as far aft as you can, so you can use the shortest length arm as possible, less vibration. 

image.thumb.png.bf29f91cec55cb52426afb9724584bd5.png

Sounds like either suction mount on the window works or screwed mushroom side mount. For me (so the iPad won’t interfere with the door),  I’ll try screwing in the AMPS mounting plate on the mushroom side seam where the mushroom side is thicker. I’m very curious how you installed a doubler. Is it a small sheet of thick aluminum underneath the mushroom side mount point?

I use a RAM Goosneck mount bolted to the pax seat bolt on the floor with a small bracket from the center panel lower right screw to steady it. This places the I pad out of the direct sun does not tend to overheat and is easier to read. The bracket holds either a full size or a mini. I prefer the mini because the full size hits my wifes knee some times.

• 2 years later...

I'm digging up this topic because I'm looking to install an iPad in the cockpit. I have the two-part asymmetrical mushroom version and I was thinking of settling on this one.
I can see that this is a choice made by several of you, so I'm going to set about implementing it.
On the other hand, today with my job I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and I think it's too big to be put there.
So I'm going to buy a new one, but I have the impression that the iPad mini is too small to see the navigation properly. 
Do you have an opinion on the right size for both cockpit and visibility?

1 hour ago, Ulmo133 said:

I'm digging up this topic because I'm looking to install an iPad in the cockpit. I have the two-part asymmetrical mushroom version and I was thinking of settling on this one.
I can see that this is a choice made by several of you, so I'm going to set about implementing it.
On the other hand, today with my job I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and I think it's too big to be put there.
So I'm going to buy a new one, but I have the impression that the iPad mini is too small to see the navigation properly. 
Do you have an opinion on the right size for both cockpit and visibility?

I have an 11" iPad Pro on the left side of the mushroom.  I mount it so the top of the iPad is roughly even with the top of the glareshield, like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.e4e0a63fcd95dbfcef49e6ac089a29be.jpeg

You can see over and around it easily, it doesn't impede vision at all.  A lot of guys use the mini in that location, but the 12.9" Pro is probably going to be challenging to make work.  Another advantage of that location is the vent blows right on the back of the iPad to keep it cool in the winter.  I've never had any heat-related shutdowns of the iPad and I live in Georgia where 95°F and higher days aren't too uncommon in the Summer.

12 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have an 11" iPad Pro on the left side of the mushroom.  I mount it so the top of the iPad is roughly even with the top of the glareshield, like this:

You can see over and around it easily, it doesn't impede vision at all.  A lot of guys use the mini in that location, but the 12.9" Pro is probably going to be challenging to make work.  Another advantage of that location is the vent blows right on the back of the iPad to keep it cool in the winter.  I've never had any heat-related shutdowns of the iPad and I live in Georgia where 95°F and higher days aren't too uncommon in the Summer.

Thank you.
Ok I'm going to look for an iPad 11" or equivalent to use with the CT. An iPad classic should be more than enough or a air as I don't think it needs to be ultra powerful.

I ran a mini for couple of years, last December swapped it for ~ 11" (standard size - forget model) as it came from my daughters upgrade.  11" is nice, have it mounted on side of panel same as Andy, happy with it.  Still easy to get in and out of cockpit, doesn't block sight picture out the door, good set up.  

7 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I ran a mini for couple of years, last December swapped it for ~ 11" (standard size - forget model) as it came from my daughters upgrade.  11" is nice, have it mounted on side of panel same as Andy, happy with it.  Still easy to get in and out of cockpit, doesn't block sight picture out the door, good set up.  

The only caveat I found is I can't quite mount it as low as I'd truly like because my knee bumps the cradle any lower.  But as I mentioned, it's no issue at all seeing around it.

I havent installed the RAM ball on the mushroom yet. In the mean time, i've switched to a suction cup RAM mount on the windscreen ceiling between the compass and the spar tunnel, dead center in the middle of the plane. I have a 6 inch extension that drop into a x cradle that holds my ipad mini. This position keeps your eyes outside and also does not vibrate. Works absolutely perfect.