Experimental Category

Jim Ragain

2 hours ago, GlennM said:

Here is a recent big one for staying S-LSA:

You need a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) to receive flight training in an experimental aircraft from a CFI.  Rent a certified plane to get your BFR?

I think this will be going away. I hear there is legislation in Congress to fix this and, if not, the FAA has indicated the LODA process will not be that difficult.

Something to consider but not a show stopper.

3 hours ago, GlennM said:

Here is a recent big one for staying S-LSA:

You need a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) to receive flight training in an experimental aircraft from a CFI.  Rent a certified plane to get your BFR?

It seems the FAA has a fairly simple method of applying for one online, and from what I’ve heard you will receive it in about a week.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:38 AM, FastEddieB said:

Mine took one week from the Louisville, FSDO.

That said, I’m still nor 100% clear on the necessity. I guess if a friend gives me a Flight Review in my E-LSA Sky Arrow, I’m covered against some technical violation of something.  I think. 

Actually it would be your friend that is covered. Since the FAA in their ultimate wisdom has decided that a CFI received compensation any time they provide services whether money changes hands or not.

Does a pilot need a LODA to act as Safety Pilot?  Does a CFI need a LODA to act as Safety Pilot if no fee or other services are involved?  

Is value received if the flight is logged by the Safety Pilot or CFI?  How about if the flight is not logged?  What value accrues then?

The new interpretation refers to "flight training", so anything considered flight training would require the LODA.  A safety pilot is not training you, so I think the LODA is not required in that setting.  Unless you are paying the CFI, then probably.  But it's the FAA so who knows.  After all they just went 180° on how things have been for decades.