Intermittent flaps

Al Downs

Looking for information  on flap control.  Had a problem with with the flaps not working.. Ordered a new flap board and installed it. Still having problems. They work most of the time but occasionally. Sometimes they work fine for several flights and then all of a sudden they won't work. Today after several flights, they won't work on preflight. Flight cancelled. This has happened before . Cannot reproduce it at will. I will try it again tomorrow and won't be surprised if it works. Need to figure out what the problems is and correct it.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard is the potentiometer change out and how hard is the recalibration could you eleaborate? Ive had issues on a 2008 Ctls and Ive been getting a flashing display and an overload light. Also I would like to add that when 15 degrees is applied I always get an “o” and it usaually takes 3 movements to get 15 degrees in. It’s done this for several years but now its even acting worse with the flashing and overload indication

Hello Jeff,

I've been fortunate to not have any flap issues in my '06, I have had the center section out and removed flap controller from panel, and adjusted the stop washer tang to allow manual flap operation as a fail safe mode should I ever be away from home and need to drive flaps up or down - if your CT does not allow manual mode that can be addressed as you get into things.  I believe I posted pic's on that, probably found under "manual flaps" search.  The little bit I'll share on repair, it often seams people chase other gremlins, cracks in board / poor soldering, electrical connects that need to be twisted, or the occasional electrical component other than the pot.  Here are a couple posts that are relevant to the flaps, search "potentiometer" and there are a pile more.

Lastly, as you work in this area, there are A LOT of wires in the bundle and zip ties / etc.  As you reinstall things take your time and ensure the bundle is not in contact with the fuel shut off rod and such.  I was not happy with how mine looked when opened, and took the time to tidy it back up in the reinstall. 

18 hours ago, Bill3558 said:

I had same problem with my 2008 CTLS.  Flaps worked fine till you got to 30 degrees or more, then flashing lights and flaps would twitch slightly up and down. 
recalibration fixed it. 

Could you send me some information on how you did the recalibration?

I had the same issues sometime back.  I rebuilt the pot switch (fixed not working at all but still had intermittent issues), installed a new circuit board on the firewall and still had an issue with the flaps being intermittent in auto, but manual worked okay.  FD suggested I re-program so I ordered the wire harness (can be done without it but I did not want to mess anything up electrical).  Went to the airport to re-program but decided to try the flaps again first, BINGO they worked perfect.  So I did not re-program.  Many flights since and they still work perfect.  I think my flaps had COVID and must have self healed.  Hope someone finds a vaccine soon and hope the CTSW cannot catch it twice!