Camera Mount

cdarza

Recommendations please for best way to camera mount (Interior) that minimizes shake.    Many advances have been made but im still left with not so smooth video. @FlyingMonkey i think this question is really for you as ive noticed your videos are buttery smooth.   (I tried sending you a direct message but it wouldnt allow me to- hence this topic)   Since the CTSW has that minor little stick 'bump' ive also now noticed that alot of my videos have that little shake or shudder.  Very minor but videos today are so smooth im trying to get the best footage.   

The trick is to get a camera with image stabilization to cancel out the vibrations.  If I turn off the image stabilization on mine it's pretty shaky.  Most of the new "action cameras" from GoPro, Garmin, etc have very good image stabilization. 

Most of my videos are taken from an adhesive GoPro mount I have stuck to the bulkhead between the seats.  it's been there since I bought the airplane six years ago and is still on there pretty solidly.

thanks for the reply. Yeah I've used the image stabilization and didn't really help much.  I thought you might have some special mount but I also have the gopro adhesive mount that you mentioned. I haven't really noticed it much but lately  Im starting to think now that my plane has a slight shudder that most of you don't have.  Sample of my videos.  Either camera not doing a good job or I gotta figure out how to get less plane shudder   

I don't think camera stabilization matters for high frequency vibrations:

Here is an example of a video I recorded with Garmin Virb about 3 years ago ( no stabilization)

Here is another one ( on the same plane ) with GoPro 7 ( awesome gimbal-like stabilization ) - you can clearly see difference with actual horizon being rock stable  but in both cases there are no high frequency vibrations.
Imho you got something else going with your mount or perhaps excessive plane vibrations ( I doubt it thought since you with this level of vibration on the engine itself you would probably end up being a close friend with a lot of dentists )

You know what .. let me take it back.

I just reviewed some video from another camera Sony FDR-X3000 mounted on the same mount as GoPro and Virb.

Sony is actually a very good camera but it does not have stabilization whatsoever and it actually shows big time - video looks similar to what you have recorded ( perhaps even worse)
It looks like Virb does have some internal stabilization ( not nearly as good as GoPro )but it does make difference so perhaps you should just get a better camera with stabilization.

Thanks for those samples.   Yeah the first 2 vids - Gopro7 and virb were awesome!    The one i posted is from a Yi camera (which clearly is not doing a good job).  I found some old footage from my  Gopro4 and it too wasnt 100% stable.   I have a insta360 arriving soon so will see how that does.   Really appreciate the feedback - my OC took over and ive been obsessing about this the last few days lol.  

10 hours ago, cdarza said:

Thanks for those samples.   Yeah the first 2 vids - Gopro7 and virb were awesome!    The one i posted is from a Yi camera (which clearly is not doing a good job).  I found some old footage from my  Gopro4 and it too wasnt 100% stable.   I have a insta360 arriving soon so will see how that does.   Really appreciate the feedback - my OC took over and ive been obsessing about this the last few days lol.  

I think the newer camera might fix you up.  I keep wanting to try my GoPro 7 on the tail, where the vibration was just too much for the GoPro 3 to get a good image. 

BTW, I think GoPro has terrible customer service and a bad history of just releasing new cameras and not fixing issues with current models.  I will probably look for another option next time I am camera shopping...maybe the Garmin ViRB.

• 3 weeks later...

So i splurged on a new 360 action cam.  Insta 360 R.   So far on my first edited video i am quite pleased with the quality and the stabilization.   Camera was mounted on the provided stick and the camera was bouncing ALOT, as can be seen on the close up wing shots, yet still managed to give very good video for the distant view.  I will opt for a stiff aluminum tube in the future as opposed to the provided retractable stick.   Note on the Insta360 in case anyone wanting to buy one;  the bad;   

Battery life 1 hour max

Need a Iphone 8 or better to edit the videos on your phone (or equivalent Android)  

While editing, the camera connection to phone kept freezing up/crashing. 

Other than that im still happy with the camera and amazing features.

51 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Wow! Nice video of a very pretty area. Super clear water and completely glassed off (no waves). I assume we are looking at the inland side of coral reefs? What about the platforms in the water just before the 5-min mark? Are they fishing platforms?

Mike Koerner

Thank you Mike.  It was one of those awesome glassy days.  This place is Danajon Reef (Bank) in the Philippines- Part of a double barrier reef.   The platforms are for the fishermen who are actually doing seaweed farming which is being promoted by the local govt units as opposed to the Dynamite fishing that they used to do - although, we still see or hear the explosions but rarely these days.   Around the 4:12 mark, there is a tiny crowded 'islet' that we locally refer to as Waterworld.  Local fisherfolk have made a community mainly on stilts.  

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, Ken said:

How and where did you mount this? 

HI Ken.  I used the telescopic "selfie stick" and attached it to a suction cup mount for the front part and then attached it to the tie down bolt at the back.  The back is a washer with a bolt attached to the ring of the tie down bolt.    I used a InstaOne camera for this however i was having problems with it shutting down on me -   Good camera but not sure i would recommend it.  The software it comes with for editing is easy to use but you need a newer phone to edit smoothly (iphone 8 was not good...  iphone 11 or better should be fine)   If you need more detail just lemme know and i will try to help as best i can      chris@hlhuillier.com      Note; i used it a few times and after awhile, unless you are really into editing and posting, it just becomes a hassle. - But thats just me. :)   I just use the iphone vid now for most of my content;  shameless plugin: follow me on insta if you like;   captazrad 

IMG_1003.jpg

cdarza, you were complaining about battery life.  If your camera can use a USB source for charging, you can coil a long USB cable around your selfie stick, and drill a small hole in your clear inspection cover.  Use a piece of adhesive velcro and attach an external battery pack inside the wing.  Then run the usb cable through the hole and connect to your battery.  When the camera is not in use use a small piece of tape over the hole.

I do this for my GoPro 7 (using a shorter USB cable than you will need), and I get 8+ hours of battery life.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, cdarza said:

HI Ken.  I used the telescopic "selfie stick" and attached it to a suction cup mount for the front part and then attached it to the tie down bolt at the back.  The back is a washer with a bolt attached to the ring of the tie down bolt.    I used a InstaOne camera for this however i was having problems with it shutting down on me -   Good camera but not sure i would recommend it.  The software it comes with for editing is easy to use but you need a newer phone to edit smoothly (iphone 8 was not good...  iphone 11 or better should be fine)   If you need more detail just lemme know and i will try to help as best i can      chris@hlhuillier.com      Note; i used it a few times and after awhile, unless you are really into editing and posting, it just becomes a hassle. - But thats just me. :)   I just use the iphone vid now for most of my content;  shameless plugin: follow me on insta if you like;   captazrad 

IMG_1003.jpg

Thanks for the photo and info. I have heard much the same about the Insta cameras and the hassle editing. So you hang your iPhone out there now? I wonder how the Go Pro 360 woul;d work?I don't do Instagram or I would certainly follow you. 

Thanks,

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I wonder how the Go Pro 360

I use Go Pro 360, fairly happy with it.  Any 360 camera requires a stout PC to process the files, and editing 360 files is much more intense than basic FOV cameras.  Go Pro uses their Fusion software, or there are other video software editing available as freeware / purchased software.  Tips and tricks can be found for the specific camera, and the specific software, on YouTube.