Front Donuts for nose gear CTSW

procharger

The CTSW started with springs in the front suspension, but they moved up and down too far and wore out the slot with the pin and would bang and bottom out up and down. So FD replaced the spring with 6 red polyurethane dampeners. Now the front end should be fairly solid with no up and down free play when you pick up the front end an 1"-2" and and let it down firmly. There should also not be any side to side motion. A quarter inch side to side is fine, but much more than that and the front suspension pin should be replaced.

If you need either dampeners or pin I have them. Just let me know.

I also have door lift struts and the CTSW (16) rubber engine mounts.

The attachment is the Flight Design procedure to replace the spring with the polyurethane pucks. They will sell you a kit with all the recommended parts to do this. That is mostly the pucks, washers, new nuts, and the 2 pieces described as "Support - DKA4010171". Roger or Tom would know if these pieces are required. If so, I believe the only source is from Flight Design. I think this is a good upgrade to do. My understanding is the concern is if the nose should come down hard, it can do damage to the strut assembly. If you order from FD, you might want to order a new pin (KA4010101) at the same time. If you take this apart and find it worn, you can replace it at the same time. Otherwise just keep it as a spare. Good luck.

Nose Gear Damper Exchange Procedure.pdf

The stock pins are 11mm tall and 8mm wide. I make mine 11mm tall and 8.2mm wide. If the front slot is worn like the majority get then using a stock pin allows side to side wobble which you don't want. The slightly fatter pin allows you to hand fit the pin to make the front suspension solid. You could sand or file it down to be a perfect fit. Many front ends I do just take the 8.2mm because of normal wear. If you have wobble it will get worse and get get to the point of front suspension replacement. This should be a pre-flight check and is very easy to do. Takes all of 10 seconds.

The old red polyurethane dampers were 20mm tall and 20mm wide. Mine and I believe FD's are now 20mm tall and 25mm wide. They just last longer and do a better job.

I will check when I pull it apart going to do hose job first of the year, if pin needs replacing

I will fix,  if spring is still in there I will leave it, after 13 years I see no need to change it with

no real problems. You would think spring would do better on a hard landing than solid

dampers or what ever they are called. I have a lathe I guess I can make a pin when needed.

I had a pin made couple years back.  (not sure what the material was) Just recently, had shimmy on my last landing when I would brake hard..  The pin is a little loose again so am gonna give it  another try and fabricate another one.  I do worry I am doing damage to the shaft and might need to replace that if the gap gets wider.   

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...