Central California looking for a ride in CTSW

Towner

Well, I did it. I just bought a CTSW in Iowa. Like a dummy, I bought it with NO experience in light sport airplanes!

Anyway, it will probably be a week or two before I can pick it up and get checked out in it. I was wondering if anyone had a CTSW in Central California that would be willing to take me up for a ride in the meantime? I figure I’m gonna need all the help I can get, and flying around with a good pilot with experience in the model could be a huge help.

Thanks,

Jeff

In my opinion you just bought the best light sport out there. That was also confirmed by a local CFI friend who has tought in several other brands of SLSAs.

I think that the CTs (or at least the CTSWs) are the Cessna 182s of the light sport class.

Will carry legally around 600 pounds of fuel baggage and passengers.,

Will true out at a real 120 knots,

Carbon Fiber is nearly bullet proof.

Very wide and comfortable cabin.

I have had mine 10 years and still think of it as the best choice.

Larry

9 minutes ago, Towner said:

Thanks, good idea. I know of a CTLS in the area that I can hitch a ride in, but sounds like the CTSW handles a bit different. 

I did my first flight in a LS about a month before buying my SW, the control stick forces may have a little difference, otherwise the sight picture and flight characteristics are not a big enough difference.  Any time in a CT is good experience.

Not “quirky”, just different than the standard 172 and Cherokee.  Akin to jumping into a taildragger. Different enough in my opinion that you may want to line up a ferry pilot and then a qualified instructor who will provide at least 10 hours of (planned) transition time.  I took more than that.

Congrats Towner!  You will love the CTSW., bought mine with no experience while working on my PPL.  Dont regret it one bit, I've loved every minute of flying her.  Since May 2020 I've racked up about 150 hours, frequent trips to SoCal for a beach weekend away as well as the Napa and Sonoma Valleies.

I'm based out of Livermore?  I'd be happy to take you up in my SW if we can make something work.  I'm off the next couple weeks for the holidays.

Also there is a friend and instructor based here in Livermore who also owns a CTSW that would be good for some training if you feel the need after you return her home.

• 5 months later...

I'm in San Jose and am interested in going up in a CT if anyone wants to take me up (I'll pitch in for expenses, of course).  I just earned my Light Sport certificate TODAY (!) out of Reid-Hillview and ideally want to do fractional ownership of an LSA but would consider outright purchase.  The CTs are my number-one choice on paper but I need to actually experience one to see if it's really for me.  Anyone contact me if interested.  I can fly a little ways to your location.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bob K. said:

Thanks, everyone!  Jeff (Towner) contacted me and offered a ride in his...he's about 130 nm from me so a good excuse for a little cross-country.  Looking forward to checking out this cool little plane.

Bob I'm out of Livermore and would be glad to take you up in the CTSW.  Weekends are tough, but I can do Wednesday through out the day and most evenings after 4:30PM.  PM me and I can get you my contact info that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Johnny.  Actually a guy who has one right at Reid-Hillview offered to take me up so I'll be setting up a ride with him.  Nice of you and Jeff to offer, though--thanks.

By the way, if I like flying the CT, I would consider going into joint ownership with someone in this area--anyone contact me if interested.  My club has an Evektor Sportstar that I've trained in but I can't book it on weekends for more than a couple hours at a time and I'd like a plane with few enough owners that it could sometimes be free for all-day or weekend getaways.

--Bob

Glad you found a few options. I’ll tell you one thing. The CT is a blast to fly, don’t get hung up of the rudder needs they have. You get tuned to it quickly and once you do tail wheel is a lot easier to get down. . I’m considering joining the local club in Livermore to get access to some 4 seat options. As part of that process I would like to sell off have of my CT. Still keep it for 80% of my needs and leverage the club’s fleet for the other 20%