New Panel - N920WZ

Steve Moliterno

I updated my 2006 FD CTSW ELSA N920WZ panel.

Dual 10” SkyView HDX Display’s.

I added autopilot and went with 100% Dynon components, intercom, radio, transponder, ADAHRS and EMS.

I kept the Garmin G5 for backup.

I have a carbon fiber guy at a nearby airport who did the work for the autopilot servos.

Thrust Avionics at Addison airport, Tx created the panel and completed the installation.

Panel Pic’s

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvhAyESI7_telD83Do9Tgn23oo8W?e=w2QWd4

Servo installation Pic’s

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvhAyESI7_telEBLbpkXxGmNmfjk?e=iQ9Qju

Unless you do the work yourself , I keep hearing that this sort of panel will cost about 20-30 k ...

Lovely panel for sure but 30 k ...uhhhh , just can’t bring myself ( and surely my wife ) to consider spending what amounts to 30% of the cost of the plane on what is a panel for a VFR , look out of the window 99% of time , plane 🙂

If you subtract the bells and whistles the difference between the D100 based systems and the sky view is moving map and synthetic vision.  There are two types of value here.  In retrospect in 2006 I spent a lot for the syn vision and moving map based EFIS and after 15 years it didn't make the expected difference at all.  Instead I look our the window all the time.  My EFIS is in the shop right now and I barely miss it when I fly.

The panel is pretty as can be and I would love to have it in my plane.  The biggest thing it would do for me though is allow me to fly without my tablet.  

I have looked at the Skyview systems, as well as the G3X and GRT systems.  Once you add in all the engine sensors, GPS, etc, the prices get kind of eye-watering.  I always go back to "that would be cool, but it's just too much money for any utility that it buys me for a VFR airplane."  Not to say it's a bad idea, just an idea I can't currently afford!

I will be updating the panel at some point to make it nicer looking (mine has gotten slightly worn and ratty looking over the years), but will probably just move all the old instruments over.  I'd love to ditch my current iFly 740b GPS and put an iPad dock in the panel instead...but until the app makers allow the apps to drive an autopilot that doesn't really make it work for me.  All I really need is the app to output nav data to the lightning port and then a lightning-to-serial dongle to let it talk to the AP.  Kind of annoying this hasn't happened yet.

I would love to have that panel, but could never afford it! I’ve flown nothing but old, really old, steam gauges until I bought my CTSW two weeks ago. Now, flying with the Dynon 100/120 set up, it feels like I’m cheating! I have the 496, which is really too small for me to use. It also has a Garmin 250 gps/com. The Garmin, 496, Dynon, and autopilot are all tied together, but I would still love your big moving map so I can read it. ForeFlight is amazing for that, but just tough to find a convenient place for a full size iPad in the plane. 

Not to take away from your beautiful panel, but what is the best way to mount an iPad in the plane? I wish it could be mounted in a dock like the 496.

I hear what most of you are saying about the cost, I thought long and hard about spending this kind of money on my plane.  

I couldn't purchase a new plane without getting a loan (which I didn't want to do) so this will be my last plane, that made the decision a lot easier.  

I started with 1 HDX and the auto pilot.  Of course I then wanted the additional engine information so I added the EMS.

I needed ads-b...

Just kept adding one more thing to the list.

3 minutes ago, Freedom said:

I hear what most of you are saying about the cost, I thought long and hard about spending this kind of money on my plane.  

I couldn't purchase a new plane without getting a loan (which I didn't want to do) so this will be my last plane, that made the decision a lot easier.  

I started with 1 HDX and the auto pilot.  Of course I then wanted the additional engine information so I added the EMS.

I needed ads-b...

Just kept adding one more thing to the list.

We are mostly jealous.

I added two 7" Garmin G3x's to my Ct. They also contain an awesome autopilot if you want. The G3x uses a can buss system for wiring which is two data wires, and an A+ and ground wire. This makes for a very simple wiring harness and any other additional Garmin units all talk to each other. The new panels are easy to make. With two G3x's , air data computer , autopilot servos , Gtr 200 com, analog autopilot controller (not really needed), less than $10,000. Now I did my own install but it's not anywhere near what old technology avionics was like , not even close. If you can make the panels the rest is pretty simple. I can't imagine the wiring cost to be excessive unless you go to a large avionics shop. The servos fit in with no modification to the TruTrak brackets if you decide to use them. 

5 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I added two 7" Garmin G3x's to my Ct. They also contain an awesome autopilot if you want. The G3x uses a can buss system for wiring which is two data wires, and an A+ and ground wire. This makes for a very simple wiring harness and any other additional Garmin units all talk to each other. The new panels are easy to make. With two G3x's , air data computer , autopilot servos , Gtr 200 com, analog autopilot controller (not really needed), less than $10,000. Now I did my own install but it's not anywhere near what old technology avionics was like , not even close. If you can make the panels the rest is pretty simple. I can't imagine the wiring cost to be excessive unless you go to a large avionics shop. The servos fit in with no modification to the TruTrak brackets if you decide to use them. 

Can you post a photo?  This seems a smart upgrade path.

23 hours ago, Towner said:

I would love to have that panel, but could never afford it! I’ve flown nothing but old, really old, steam gauges until I bought my CTSW two weeks ago. Now, flying with the Dynon 100/120 set up, it feels like I’m cheating! I have the 496, which is really too small for me to use. It also has a Garmin 250 gps/com. The Garmin, 496, Dynon, and autopilot are all tied together, but I would still love your big moving map so I can read it. ForeFlight is amazing for that, but just tough to find a convenient place for a full size iPad in the plane. 

Not to take away from your beautiful panel, but what is the best way to mount an iPad in the plane? I wish it could be mounted in a dock like the 496.

I had the same set up when I bought my CTSW.  I kept touching the screen on the 496 expecting it to do something!  You can very easily and inexpensively change out the 496 to the Aera 660 with a panel mount.  It will talk to your auto pilot too!  I did all of it myself and I’m much happier with the setup.

I too toss around the HDX upgrade.  I could do both my panels and related gear for maybe under $10k?  In the certified world a panel upgrade can easily surpass $100k.  My panel is original, at now 14 years old.  Still works perfect, but it owes me nothing.  I’d leave the Aera 660 to drive the autopilot.  I’m already ADSB compliant.  Our planes are an investment in fun and freedom, and you can’t always justify upgrades other than the smile on your face.  Just like a vacation, you can drop a wheel barrow of money in a week on a good one, and if you do it right, it’s worth it.  Our planes, when taken care of, will hold their value as new ones keep costing more.  I made significant profit on the last two planes I sold.  

My installation makes a long flight so much easier than the original equipment. The autopilot is far superior to Trutrak, much easier to use. It even has a go around function which then flies the missed approach for if you really want to, if you have a certified gps.The air data computers give me wind direction and velocity in real time to allow me to climb to an altitude with more favorable wind. The G3x experimental has many more built in functions than the certified version. I had really good avionics in my 310 but this equipment smokes it.

The thing is that there is nothing earth shattering in G3X do HDX that I can’t get with Aera 796 + Trutrak + Garmin Pilot/IPad . Certain things are easier to access , more integrated etc but even my Trutrak autopilot from 2012 offers a lot more than I will ever need ...

Having said that , I will have to upgrade at some point since my Trutrak EFIS is no longer manufactured/supported and when it dies , it dies ...

Most  likely I will go with one Garmin G3X 7” + autopilot + new engine monitoring module and keep everything else as is.