Which Dynon servos (07 CTSW)

Ed Cesnalis

In my 2007 CTSW I used SV32s with the standard output arm for the pitch and kept the capstan part of the Tru-Trak roll servo.  It was a real nuisance getting the roll servo back in but if I remember correctly Tom Baker gave me some hints.  I can send some pictures in a day or two if that would help.  It's freezing rain today so I'm not planning to go to the airport.

I'll try to get picture but it will be at least a day.

If I remember right, I talked to Stein at SteinAir and the Dynon salespeople about the appropriate torque.  As you know, there are reasons to avoid too much torque.  

Can you tell the torque of the Tru-Trak you are replacing and use that information to inform your choice?  How about Arian Foldan at FDUSA?  I wonder if he'd know the torque requirement?  Or maybe one of the Gutmans at Airtime Aviation?

I use the capstan drive off the old Tru-Trak drive.  I don't know if the capstan drive on the Dynon is the same or maybe has a different radius of swing.  It's been a couple of years.

Sorry I'm not of much better help.  I'll try to get more info for you Tuesday evening if I can.

I think Arian also offered some suggestions on getting the capstan servo back in place.

Arian was able to help.  I bought Dynon SV42 servos with more torque than the SV32.  I got one with a standard output arm and the other with the Dynon Capstan.

I'm expecting the servos to bolt right in, perhaps needing to change a screw to flathead.  The Dynon AP74 controller looks good in the panel and is more functional than the TruTrak head it replaces.  When I want to upgrade to Skyview I will have the right servos.

Sarasota Avionics has the best deal and selection. $725 / servo.  They drop shipped overnight from a location local to me.

Arian is a good guy.

I had to drill new holes for the pitch servo.  The roll servo bolted right in but was a real close fit to slide in to place.  I benefited because I kept the capstan drive from the TruTrak servo.

I've found my SV32s OK but don't argue if Arian recommends 42s.  

I've been happy with my SV servos.

• 3 weeks later...

I have all the parts and the shop is ready for me next week.

I'm also getting a EchoUAT with gps glare shield mounted;  my GDL 50 is getting mounted and wired;  my Aera 760 is replacing my 496.

I'm doing it without cutting the panel and instead using an Airgizmo 496 cover and a ball mount and bare wire kit to put the 760 on an arm above the 496 with an extension so it gets a foot closer to me than the panel location.  Visually it will hide the 496 and carb heat / cabin heat controls and a take-off check list.

• 3 weeks later...

Dynon Servos with upgraded torque are in and wired.

Aera 760 almost fits if mounted horizontally so we are going with it almost in the panel.

GDL 50 is getting mounted and wired.

EchoUAT is being installed with a glareshield mounted gps and antenna

Dynon AP74 replaced the TruTrak head   

Hard part is done, rest is cake according to the shop doing the install.

messages_0 (1).jpeg

Looks/sounds like good progress Ed!

My Dynon Trutrak swap took a turn this week.  I've decided to leave the TT servos and upgrade the head to the new xCruze 100, all the futures of the Dynon plus VS adjustment (Dynon AP does not allow that on the fly).  Swapping/upgrade cost head is $650 and only requires a single pin on the connector be relocated, no panel work, no servo swap and no costs associated with that part of the install.  Estimating 1.5 to 2 hours labor should get me back in the air.  Also ordered the GNC-355 this week, getting closer to an IFR trainer!!