Florida Anyone? SUN N FUN '21

GrassStripFlyBoy

SnF is on, and about 2 months out, so sending a heads up for those who might be interested in the show.  I'm not sure of dates I'd be around, maybe a couple nights of camping on the field is current thought, and won't make the call until the week prior as getting out / back in to Michigan can still be a wildcard that early in season.

Sun n Fun is a blast.  I like it better than Osh because of the smaller scale, yet lots of "Oshkosh style" plane entertainment.  

I will try to go.  Would love to fly down but I am getting back in the work force shortly and my time won't be my own... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting closer - have the week off and will start to pick the dates as weather forecast firms up.  Presently thinking of shooting down Monday 12th to near area and hoteling it that night, then arrive day 1 on Tue 13th, camping a night or two.  If weather is crappy I'll push later in the week accordingly. 

The Paradise City runway will be closed. Here’s an excerpt from the 2021 NOTAM.  The full text is available on line.

RWY 08/26 will be CLOSED from 1400 EDT (1800 UTC) April 2 through 1600 EDT (2000 UTC) April 22. (See: Paradise City)

51 minutes ago, John Vance said:

Well, now that I read further down the NOTAM, it looks like it’s open to types including SLSA. Looks like an opportunity. 

Yeah - having a southern arrival and being separated out of the main LAL approach would certainly take some pressure off.  I'm encouraged with how the weather forecast is trending on my route and at the event, looking like good odd's I'll make it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Light crowds, estimated 80% of exhibitors showed up.  Very “personal”, exhibitors had lots of time to explain their wares thoroughly... had a blast.  Good turnout at FD... lots of F2 interest.  The Oklahomans were there and they did a beautiful paint job on their SW.
PS, that’s the famous Arian BTW... great mechanic and guy

2C559B61-BCE3-4477-9B86-043D8C1548BE.jpeg

12 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

Wow! Do you have anymore pictures of that orange ctsw? 

I don’t I’m sorry... but I did watch Dan Johnson take a video of it so I’m sure you will see it in a future video.  
PS, my favorite performer was a guy who flew a Baron and with the engines off most  of the time.  Beautiful display of energy management in the spirit of Bob Hoover.

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

I don’t I’m sorry... but I did watch Dan Johnson take a video of it so I’m sure you will see it in a future video.  
PS, my favorite performer was a guy who flew a Baron and with the engines off most  of the time.  Beautiful display of energy management in the spirit of Bob Hoover.

He does a nice job. I remember a different guy in a Baron who flew in the airshow at Oshkosh several years back. He was a big Hollywood stunt pilot performing there for the first time. He blew through the 500 foot safety line and drifted out over the crowd with both engines shut down and inverted. He rolled the airplane right side up and started the engines, circled around and landed immediately. He was asked to leave and never come back. Not sure about any FAA action.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

He blew through the 500 foot safety line and drifted out over the crowd with both engines shut down and inverted. He rolled the airplane right side up and started the engines, circled around and landed immediately. He was asked to leave and never come back.

Good grief.   I will say this, the crowds were thin... so it felt like the airshow was very intimate -- meaning up close and I, who melts in the sun, could actually find shade under a C-47 wing.  I have the oil drips on my shirt to prove it...