Help please

Ken

I am looking for some transition training in a CTSW. I am located in Richmond, Va and cannot seem to find a flight school anywhere nearby. Does anyone know of a training location near Richmond, Va?

Second option the plane is located in San Antonio Tx. Any flight schools near there or any CFI that has hours in a CTSW?

Third option anyone want to fly from San Antonio to Richmond with me that has solid time in a CTSW? 

I have reviewed all the logs on this aircraft and feel quite confident in the history and maintenance of this CTSW.

I sold my plane yesterday so I have an empty hangar I would like to fill with this aircraft ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Ken

I bought mine in Iowa in December. I was lucky enough to find an instructor there, with CT experience, who checked me out in the airplane and did my biennial flight review. Needless to say, I spent an extra few days in Iowa, but I then flew it home myself. The plane is a blast to fly, but I would never consider flying it solo without some dual time first...it is different than anything I've flown before! 

You may want to consult with your insurance company about how many hours they'll require in type prior to solo, I'd expect it would be a minimum of 2, and likely more depending on the carrier.  Then you'll know what you 'must' do transition wise to coordinate with whatever instructor / pilot options you find.  If they say time in type, then maybe working with another capable pilot is possible, if they say dual instruction, then you're looking for CFI.  They'll likely state instruction, and if you need a lead on insurance I can share Avinsure contact.  I think those quoting at time of my purchase were stating 5 hours, but with the 1.5 in type I had, and plan being to buy through Airtime with solid instructor pilot, I think they relaxed down to 2 hours and said if Airtime checks me out, they're good.

Regardless of what they say, I'd personally suggest 2-3 hours of pattern work at minimum.  I rented a LS for 1.5 hours prior to buying a SW, I made a mess of landings in that first hour and like you was a current aircraft owner.  Jumped in the SW and probably had a couple more hours of pattern work / further transition training before solo flying it back home.

Second suggestion is keep your minimums low for wind speeds in the first 10+ hours, a few hours of getting settled in, and avoid the high winds - you're golden from there.

And Airtime offers a transition / dual pilot flight option to get you safely home.  I can't speak for them, but recall them sharing it costs instructor time for the journey + return airline flight and such, but if you're in a pinch on timing and money is less of issue, or want the crutch of a safety pilot on that flight, they support lots of options in transitioning pilots.

Hi Ken,

I bought mine last year in northern CA.  Had a ferry pilot from Wichita go pick it up and bring it to me.  I did not go along because I was worried about being over gross weight.

In hindsight, after the pilot checked me out 5-hours for insurance I wished I had gone along on the delivery flight.  I could have completed my checkout and had about 12 hours of time in the airplane.  It would have cost me an extra airline ticket and motel room but it would have been worth the time with the experienced LSA pilot.

If you have someone in San Antonio or even Tulsa lined up, buy yourself a ticket and go with them.  There are a lot of advantages to doing this.  You will get to look over your purchase, and you will get to learn about the preflight, checking the oil, and many other things that will help you out.

Also, you will learn that weight is not an issue.

But - wait until the weather warms up a little or you will freeze in the CT.