Locating MoGas

GrassStripFlyBoy

Have been considering some flight planning for possible Sun N Fun trip, in seeking airports with auto fuel along the route I noticed AirNav has a fuel planner search page that allows you to pick fuel type, route of travel, and it will highlight airports with mogas along the way.  Here's the link:  AirNav: Fuel Stop Planner

Combine this with Swift fuels map, Unleaded UL94 Avgas Availability - Google My Maps, and you have some options to avoid buying 100LL.

This is what search generated for my route:

image.thumb.png.4d5fd190bc8140e079fd9265de36a3c7.png

Hey Darell, 

I’m at Indiana, Pa (KIDI) which is a 10 minute flight from McVille (6P7). Let me know when you are coming through and I’ll have gas waiting for you.

i have stopped at 2R2. At the time, the gas was 90 octane self serve. I have also stopped at AID, it’s a great airport with self serve so it’s a quick stop. I’m next door to McVille and didn’t know that they have Mogas. Betting it’s 87 octane but not sure.

When looking at the different routes, I would head to Anderson.

Just my opinion, but "mogas hunting" is usually not worth the trouble.  Sometimes you can find an airport right on your route at approximately the right distance for a fuel stop, and that can be worth it.  But if you run mogas normally at home, the small amount of 100LL you'll burn on a long cross country isn't enough to fret about.  Using that philosophy, my oil tank out after three years was just cleaned out and it has just the tiniest amount of lead residue in the very bottom of the tank, just wiped right out.

Darrell, if on your trip you will be anywhere near KWDR (Barrow County, Georgia) and it's a convenient area for a fuel stop, let me know.  I'd love to at least meet up for a few minutes and say hi.

I hear ya, not anti 100LL, but if not a hassle I'll plan to avoid it as much as possible.  Cleaned tank this weekend as part of oil change, only put 10-15 gallons of 100LL through these last 50 hours and the hassle of cleaning the tank was probably not needed - very tiny bit as you say.  I think for me it's the desire to achieve 50 hour frequency and maintain good oil quality over those hours, but a 25 hour change after a long cross country is not that big of deal either.

Will keep WDR on the travel plans, I'm probably still 50/50 on SnF trip.

34 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I hear ya, not anti 100LL, but if not a hassle I'll plan to avoid it as much as possible.  Cleaned tank this weekend as part of oil change, only put 10-15 gallons of 100LL through these last 50 hours and the hassle of cleaning the tank was probably not needed - very tiny bit as you say.  I think for me it's the desire to achieve 50 hour frequency and maintain good oil quality over those hours, but a 25 hour change after a long cross country is not that big of deal either.

I'm with you on this.  Before a long cross country I usually do an oil change just before and another once I'm back home if burning 100LL.

48 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

You're ELSA, Just carry your fuel with ya!

image.png.df877143b226da51bec5255ca9c08736.png

image.png.6ef00a1f4025d6ab9745e78b28ed3722.png

https://franx.aero/start-en.html