Oshkosh...Anybody Going?

FlyingMonkey

1 hour ago, Towner said:

I'm hoping to go, but is still at the 50% chance of my wife letting me!

I'm probably about 50/50 myself between the developing covid situation and my spine not looking forward to camping out.   :D

Once the folks who are going for sure is firmed up, we should get a phone list together so we can text and socialize.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I will be there one way or another. My 18yo son is flying the family Taylorcraft up. He is planning on leaving Friday sometime, camping somewhere South, then going in on the  Saturday morning before it starts. If all goes as planned I will be flying a friends Luscombe up on Sunday. You can look for us in the antique section.

On the OSH note, a good friend and head of Aero unit here is giving rides in his Model T at the Ford pavilion area on Mon-Wed from 10-12 and 1-3, he's in a model T club that is supporting this during the show.  He's attended every OSH show since the 80's, homebuilder, vintage airplane restorer, CFII - one of us sort of fella's.  Name is Tim Juhl, big guy on the heavier set side.  You can't miss his model T, it's one of the rare one's that came painted black...  Ok, I wouldn't know how to describe it, I'm into airplanes not cars.

If weather allows, I'm hoping to leave Saturday Morning and be there Sunday afternoon. I hope to camp at Oshkosh, but not sure of my chances since it is first come, first serve. It will be my first time, so all suggestions are appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Towner said:

It will be my first time, so all suggestions are appreciated. 

Bring and use lots of sunscreen, I'm not overly sensitive but the amount of time (days) you're out in the sun - this event always bakes me.  I'm also always impressed how safe and friendly the atmosphere is, people plug phones in to outlets at shower stations and leave them.  I'm trusting but not that level of trusting, so use a rechargeable battery, one of those external power sources with USB connections, I'll leave that at a source of power and then can charge phone back in the tent.  I travel light camping wise, tent / sleeping bag / air mattress, and a real pillow.  It's not like you're camping, more like a place to sleep at end of day.  So I don't bring too many extras for the camp side of things.   Arriving on Sunday and being in GA Camp site will likely have you park way far out in the north 40, so you won't be easily running back to the tent to grab something.  A small backpack to carry some water, snacks, sunscreen, all the free swag / lit you pick up will make the day more pleasant.  Other suggestions:

Wipes / towels to clean up instead of taking a shower.  I sponge bath in the tent and find that's enough to freshen up most days.

Some food & drinks, buying from concessions gets sort of old after a while.  Can also walk off field at north west corner to local restaurants.

Plan the inside buildings (vendors, museum, etc.) at the higher sun mid day times.

Extra tubes for possible flat tire along the way, I'll have these in bird if anyone needs std size on site.

My dad has been talking to some Oshkosh locals, and they are thinking it will not be as big as usual, and I expect they are correct. It partly depends if Canada opens up its boarders to non essential travel after the 21st. I suspect that there will be very little international visitors. I know of one long time US vendor that has chosen not to participate.

As I posted earlier, I still expect to take the camper up on the Thursday before but  will leave either Wednesday or very early Thursday, all weather depending, of course.

This is the upper Midwest and generally pretty safe, but thefts are not unknown in the 24-hour generator community so I always put a cable through my generators and secure other items at night.