Bad Autopilot Roll Servo?

Vic

Hey all,
More issues with my CTSW.
I was having issues with my Roll servo in my  2004 CTSW Flight Design.  It never worked.  I'm assuming the servos are just as old at this point.   The aileron servo just clacks trying to move the control surfaces but it seems like it never had the oomph to move them.  I thought maybe I had a bad shear screw.  This weekend I had some free time (grounded due to a bad fuel value) and pulled the roll servo out and inspected the servo box and gear.  It appears the shear screw on the servo control arm is still intact and roll pin inside the servo box is still in place.  I did not see the pin in the bottom of the case and the main gear did feel like it was connected to the shaft.

I was able to move my ailerons MUCH smoother with the servo motor removed and watched the gears inside the servo box rotate as well.    In comparison to my elevator servo, the elevator servo has 0 resistance,  I cant feel any resistance from that motor when powered off.  Roll servo always had resistance when powered off tho.  I could hear the servo motor moving when rolling the aileron on the ground. It is very noisy compared to the elevator.  The elevator servo makes no noise and has no resistance(maybe I have a bad elevator motor too?)

With the servo motor removed from the gearbox and powered on it did start spinning attempting to get on heading.  While disconnected the servo motor feels like an electric motor when you turn it with your hand, I can feel the magnet's resistance, I can feel it notch around when I spin the motor by hand.  

Is there anything I can try on the work bench with this servo or should I just send it to you for inspection?  Id pull the elevator servo to test but its buried deep in the belly of the bird and I really did not want to mess with that.