SC parachute deployment today

Tip

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

I'm not being critical, but why not use the roads to land? Looking at the map there were plenty to choose from.

Roger, from looking at the map can you tell which of those roads have powerlines? I bet from his seat in the airplane he couldn't either. 

I made an emergency landing on a road once due to a rough running engine. It swallowed a valve. When my help arrived to rescue the airplane he looked down the road and ask if I went over or under the powerlines? I looked, and said under because I was on the ground by then. I didn't even know they were there. In my opinion, unless you know the road is 100% clear and no powerlines, a road is the worst choice for an emergency landing.

21 hours ago, Bill3558 said:

I have to be careful here, but the cause was obvious.

Bill, first off I am glad you are okay. When you are able to share the cause it might be beneficial to others here on the board so as to prevent the issue from happening to someone else. I also understand that there may be other issues at hand that is preventing you from saying what happened at this time. 

I considered a road, but by this time I was in a very dense residential area. It was not a good option. Power lines everywhere. 

I wish the controller had been more on top of the situation. He never knew where I was or even suggested an ident. His confusing and misleading guidance added to my stress level. 
It turns out I flew very close to a 1900 foot paved strip that is not on the charts. If the controller knew where I was he might have pointed it out to me. 

Regarding the pull, just a sharp yank was all it took. 

Regarding the cause, it was not a Rotax failure. It was not the oil filter or drain plug. That’s as far as I can go right now.

I called BRS Aerospace yesterday and thanked them for what they do. They invited me to come tour the plant and sign “the book”. 
What book I asked.
The survivors book. 

By the way, one strap of my parachute was not attached to the rocket. 3 people signed off on it. It’s hard to see and we all missed it at the last repack. Check yours. 

10 minutes ago, Bill3558 said:

By the way, one strap of my parachute was not attached to the rocket. 3 people signed off on it. It’s hard to see and we all missed it at the last repack. Check yours. 

Sometimes it is really hard to get all 4 straps on the D link ,and it is hard to see that one is missing. It is even worse on a CTLSi. The CTSW only has three straps.

Good job Bill learn all you can about your plane work with a mechanic that works on

your plane ask questions keep an eye on everything that is touched I worked with the

mechanic that was servicing mine every time an annual was done went through 3

hose jobs with him, on other CT's did most of the work with starter sprag replaced on my plane

new flywheel, new ignition boxes, did many carbs and sync BRS he was watching me at all

times. I now do all my own work, 5 year hose job this summer. I will not let anyone touch my

plane but me. Been a mechanic all my life cars, boats, motorcycles, small engines, RC planes,

raced bikes, machine work, worked on teabag machines for Lipton Tea 36 years 2000 moving parts

have to make everything fit and adjusted on those machines. To many horror stories out

there now. Good luck replacing your plane. Oh yea, he made mistakes to.

I'm not critisizing just reflecting.

I used to take off and land over a barbedwire fence and under some power lines on a road. The power lines should run parraleel to the road and if one crossed the road there is a poer pole on each side of the road from each other. Plus there was a Highway next to the landing site and two open field areas like football or soccer parks. Plus even more wideopen roads to the west.

Roger I talked to a guy today from Cali. he landed at my airport where I work KSFQ in Va.

he was in an older guy in a 2k CT said you did hose job back in May I think, he spoke

very highly of your work. He goes all the way cross country  often in his plane he was here

last year about same time.

I had an oil line touch an exhaust header and it burnt through the fire sleeve and started working on the hose. I caught it at the first 5 year hose change.That would do it.

I agree that the Controller added to your work load and over all stress level eating up precious seconds.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, BugBuster (BB) said:

Not sure about Flight Design CTs, but over the interim of CT ownerships ended up moving sensors off the 912 engines of RV12 and Rans S-19 ELSA’s for more stable indications. 

The oil cooler mounting  grommets needed to be replaced.
See it yet?

1 hour ago, Bill3558 said:

I didn't want to speculate but recalled that recent topic, as those rubber isolation mounts always are on my mind when I'm changing the oil.  I went back to the thread to match things up a couple days ago, and thought hmmm, wonder if something else fatigued related to that issue.

9 hours ago, Bill3558 said:

See it yet?

Ah, your oil cooler developed a major leak during this flight due to ineffective dampening-of normal engine vibration levels over time.  Otherwise, one might notice oil on the ground during preflight inspection. I’m guessing the MM addresses periodic grommet replacement, at least during 5 year hose replacement, or at annual if inspection shows signs of wear on CTLS aircraft? Or during preflight if visible? And perhaps other brands,

Am I catching on? If so, then when I moved the oil pressure sensors off engines previously, I might have been only dealing with a symptom of a pending major oil leak?

if I’m in the ball park, thank you!