Cause of oil pressure loss.

Bill3558

No doubt that’s the case for 25SC. But one could certianly be forgiven for landing there with an immediate problem. Hell I’d much rather ask for forgiveness than permission in that instance. 

since it’s in the database on my tablet I wonder if I hit the emergency button  for nearest airfield if that tablet would give me one if it isn’t shown on the sectional. At the moment I don’t believe I have an unlisted field near enough to me for that function to work. 

Edit - I take that back, I do have one close and yes it does. 

On 10/20/2021 at 12:02 AM, Skunkworks85 said:

So yes, a single unlinked polymer will expand, but the microstucture of multiple linked polymers will cause a structural negative thermal expansion.

Once again, a rubber hose is not a rubber band. Rubber hoses used for oil are synthetic rubber and have a positive coefficient of expansion.

Source:  https://promo.parker.com/promotionsite/oring-ehandbook/us/en/ehome/Coefficient-of-Thermal-Expansion

Screenshot_20211021-000841_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Bottom line to this whole debate. 

When the proper clamps are used properly then they work or all aircraft would be on the ground.

Clamping aside, I still can't see how the hose could come off the fitting like it did. Normally you have to cut the hose to get it off those fittings.

Airplane is in a storage facility in Atlanta. NTSB and my insurance company are trying to get Rotax people or Lockwood people to look at it to determine probable cause. I don’t think we will ever know for sure. 
I have my thoughts but won’t ( can’t) express them here. Remember, I had just picked up plane from annual.  He had the plane for two weeks. Avemco is paying the claim.  They looked closely but could not find a reason to deny it. Thank goodness I was current on everything.

Avemco has been very professional and helpful. 

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I would like to share a couple observations based on a hose change that I am completing right now. There are two different types of barbs used in the temperature thermostats, brass and aluminum. The aluminum is slightly smaller in diameter. The blue Aeroquip hose that some people use has a slightly larger ID as compared to the Rotax hose. The airplane I am working on had the aluminum barb fittings and the Aeroquip hose. When I removed the clamps the hose almost fell off on its own. The Rotax hose is tighter than the Aeroquip hose, but still needs a clamp with the aluminum fittings. Either hose would work fine with the brass barb fitting, and clamping would not be an issue.