My Preliminary Report

Bill3558

Wow Bill, that's scary.  I think this fall under a maintenance induced failure.  Incidents like this should always be a learning experience, I had something happen what a ground cable was disconnected and I lost all electrical power 10 mins into a flight.

My learning/take away - As much as I trust my A&P, I always ask that the cowl be left off so I can inspect the engine before I head out. I twist, pull, touch the critical items and take a close look at any areas that work was performed during the visit.  I've since sold the CT and moved over the Experimental world.  Still use my A&P, but I do a lot more myself and check, re-check, re-re-check and sometimes I check it all again.   Simple things that might skip your mind can cause us a lot of stress when they interrupt a flight and send a rush of fear into our body

4 hours ago, johnnyjr said:

My learning/take away - As much as I trust my A&P, I always ask that the cowl be left off so I can inspect the engine before I head out. I twist, pull, touch the critical items and take a close look at any areas that work was performed during the visit.  I've since sold the CT and moved over the Experimental world.  Still use my A&P, but I do a lot more myself and check, re-check, re-re-check and sometimes I check it all again.   Simple things that might skip your mind can cause us a lot of stress when they interrupt a flight and send a rush of fear into our body

I trust my mechanic because I know he will die in the crash if anything goes drastically wrong. That mechanic is me!

This was rather scary at first, but after 14 years I feel better about it. Knowing my limitations and asking for help when needed are key factors.

• 1 month later...

From the preliminary report:
"Post accident examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed two engine oil hoses disconnected and substantial damage to the fuselage and left wing"

I understand NTSB reports aren't aimed at establishing legal fault, but just curious what happens going forward. If its established that the CT engine died because of oil starvation from hoses that were not correctly attached, does the A/P get sued for negligence, assuming he/she is found fully/partially at fault? I assume that your place was insured. If you didn't get full reimbursement do you have to sue for that?  Or does your aircraft insurer work out a fault & funds transfer with his E&O insurer behind the scene?

No offense intended in bringing this up - just curious how this part of gen-av works.  I imagine this is a nightmare scenario for any A/P - the last thing they want for any client. But it happened.  Glad you're safe and love the new bird btw. I'm just starting my PPL training and I'm saving up for a used CTSW in the future. Cheers. R

NTSB factuals are the only parts that can be used in a court, any opinion parts cannot. This is because it is the belief that the court needs to examine the facts and formulate opinions on its own, and not have outside parties do it for them or influence them.

It's all in the hands of his insurer now. What they do if they choose to subrogate is up to them. If the shop was insured, then it's between both insurers to handle.

If insurance didn't cover the full amount, and he didn't sign anything waiving rights or settle with his insurer or the other party's insurance or themselves, he can sue for the remainder.

Prop had one bolt holding after landing. The prop was replaced with a new one by the maintenance outfit and FAA was never informed. I have written about this before.

I have repeatedly suggested people go to school on the Rotax even if they are not mechanically inclined. At least they will have some knowledge of what should be done to be safe, it's not rocket science.