Ordering F2 Questions

When you're in an area that can swing from freezing temperatures to mild day overnight, its nice not ro have to mess with tape.

If you fly long distances frequently, also excellent.

What sucks is the fact that oil has to be drawn through it, it's not pumped through. That really limits options.

31 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Some CTs have marginal cooling.  They will run cooler in the hot weather without the thermostat and make tape a better option.

I think there are two variants of the oil radiators out there? I can't remember.

Mine was having overheating problems this past summer. Had to take an "siphon spray air gun" and blow the fins out with mineral spirits. I CANNOT BELIEVE THE LEVEL OF FILTH THAT WAS LODGED IN IT! Chunks of old dirt were just getting blasted out. Followed up with isopropyl to remove residue (there is no such thing as residue-less mineral spirits no matter what the bottle says). Was a pretty decent difference, but what also helped was filling the oil more towards the max side of the dipstick.

16 hours ago, Anticept said:

I think there are two variants of the oil radiators out there? I can't remember.

Mine was having overheating problems this past summer. Had to take an "siphon spray air gun" and blow the fins out with mineral spirits. I CANNOT BELIEVE THE LEVEL OF FILTH THAT WAS LODGED IN IT! Chunks of old dirt were just getting blasted out. Followed up with isopropyl to remove residue (there is no such thing as residue-less mineral spirits no matter what the bottle says). Was a pretty decent difference, but what also helped was filling the oil more towards the max side of the dipstick.

I think Ed Cesnalis had his oil cooler chemically flushed out once to remove any deposits and muck inside.  I can't remember if it made a huge difference, but if you're still having trouble after an external cleaning, it might be something to consider.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I think Ed Cesnalis had his oil cooler chemically flushed out once to remove any deposits and muck inside.  I can't remember if it made a huge difference, but if you're still having trouble after an external cleaning, it might be something to consider.

I know. It's in the list of things to try.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That was with his old airplane and the Warp Drive propeller. I have a customer with a Warp Drive prop, and theirs runs warm too.

27 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

That was with his old airplane and the Warp Drive propeller. I have a customer with a Warp Drive prop, and theirs runs warm too.

The current owner finally changed the engine to normalize oil temps and even that didn't work.  I never considered the Warp Drive because the condition didn't exist in the first year.