Help for a first time buyer... CTLS

Michaelb

Hey everyone, been lurking here for years. I'm close to placing an offer on a CTLS near me. 2011 CTLS. Any wisdom to impart on a first time aircraft buyer, particularly a CTLS? Key things to look for in a test flight and pre-buy? Looking forward to maybe joining the ownership community here. Thanks!

I bought my ctsw a year ago and split an annual with the purchase. I figured the annual would be ok until I could have one of our experts look at it.

Well, it was just annualed by one of the experts from this site. There were a number of little issues that could have become major issues, like some hoses attached with stripped clamps or no clamp at all. The only thing holding these hoses on were the hoses themselves! One prop blade way out of adjustment from the other two. Lot's of stuff like this that may have not been found by an A&P not familiar with rotax or the CT series.

Have a prebuy done by somebody that knows what they are doing! 

Good luck, they are a fun airplane! 

33 minutes ago, sandpiper said:

Towners'  pre-buy "by somebody that knows what they are doing" x2.

Also, a pre-buy should be done by somebody who is not familiar with the airplane.

I think when he says someone not familiar with the airplane, he means someone who has not been involved with maintaining that particular airplane. You definitely want someone familiar with the Flight Design aircraft. 

Yeah it's a bit of an unusual situation in that the current A&P who knows FD and who I trust will be my A&P going forward. But I want an independent set of eyes to take a look at it for the pre-buy. I think I've found someone with some FD CTLS experience so I think I'm covered there. Just more curious on any tips from those that have gone through the process and can share things they wished they would have known when the process started. Thanks all so far.

19 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I think when he says someone not familiar with the airplane, he means someone who has not been involved with maintaining that particular airplane. You definitely want someone familiar with the Flight Design aircraft. 

OOPS! Good catch Tom. That's exactly what I meant.

I agree that having someone do the prebuy that hasn't been working on the airplane is important. If it checks out, then you can go back to the prior guy for continuing maintenance. 

When looking at the price, consider when the parachute and hose change is due. These seem to be the big expenses, so if they are due soon, negotiate on the price or just be ready to pay the the money when due.

Otherwise, the planes are pretty simple if maintained by someone familiar with them.

Not sure what else you may be asking for. Like every other airplane ever built, they are not perfect, but they are a very good plane for the role they fill. Just make sure that is what you are looking for! If everything checks out, buy it and have fun!

I do suggest getting some dual in with someone familiar with the plane. At first, they can be tough to land. Once you become comfortable, it's not an issue. In the air, it seems like a pretty forgiving airplane. I have 1400 hours in various aircraft, but the CT series has been the most fun to fly!