Service Bulletin Trim Tab Reinforcement

I finally found somebody that has experience in doing carbon fiber work that can help me do the stabilator service bulletin

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can buy the l285 without purchasing a gallon from Aircraft Spruce. That's way more volume than I need to pay for.

Also is it really necessary to pull the stabilator off of the aircraft? We were thinking that it's already in a good position to work on being attached to the plane.  The plane is in a very nice enclosed hanger for working and for lights.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Odonata said:

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can buy the l285 without purchasing a gallon from Aircraft Spruce. That's way more volume than I need to pay for.

Also is it really necessary to pull the stabilator off of the aircraft? We were thinking that it's already in a good position to work on being attached to the plane.  The plane is in a very nice enclosed hanger for working and for lights.

I would recommend you contact Flight Design and see if they have an alternative you could use. I would think any quality epoxy resin would work, but that is just my opinion. L285 is fairly common in Europe, but the quantities you have to buy plus the hazardous shipping fee makes this impractical for a small job. 

Hopefully someone who has done this repair can comment on both the resin and the need to remove the stabilator.

Good luck and keep us informed as you make progress.

Flight Design USA shipped me just enough epoxy and hardener to do the repair for the one I did. Yes you will want to remove it from the airplane. It is much easier to do the repair with the stabilizer upside down.

If your airplane had the Mylar tape it can also be purchased from Wings and Wheels if Flight Design doesn't have any. The other option is to replace it with Bowlus tape, just make sure that you have the trim tab and stabilator positioned so that the hinge will be fully flexed when you apply the tape.