Cycling Lane A in flight

delta4242

I have not needed to do this but was curious. If I had a lane A computer red light flash or solid and needed to reset/restart computer A, how do you do it with a rotary type starter key? It makes sense with the toggle based lanes (each lane has its own switch) but with our type it seems it would kill the engine if I turned the key through lane B to A and A truly was not working.

Thanks

18 hours ago, delta4242 said:

I have not needed to do this but was curious. If I had a lane A computer red light flash or solid and needed to reset/restart computer A, how do you do it with a rotary type starter key? It makes sense with the toggle based lanes (each lane has its own switch) but with our type it seems it would kill the engine if I turned the key through lane B to A and A truly was not working.

If you have a generator voltage indications on both generators and you cycle the starter switch to a or b in flight the engine should run even if you have a lane light on. The lane light is probably a faulty warning. If you do have a lane light come on in flight the warning will tell you to land the plane. If it’s a false warning use your own judgement. Having said that, I would never cycle the switch in flight unless you want to take a chance of the engine shutting down.

Thanks

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I don't understand why FD has a rotary type key...this makes it impossible to cycle lane "A" if the computer truly did just need resetting in flight. if the plane was only running on Lane "B" because "A" was down for whatever reason, turning the key to "A" (pass "B") would kill the engine.

1 hour ago, delta4242 said:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I don't understand why FD has a rotary type key...this makes it impossible to cycle lane "A" if the computer truly did just need resetting in flight. if the plane was only running on Lane "B" because "A" was down for whatever reason, turning the key to "A" (pass "B") would kill the engine.

1 hour ago, delta4242 said:

Thanks for the response.

Yup!

Rotary keys are common in aviation. Once upon a time, they used to be just switches, but manufacturers wanted airplanes to be more like cars, so yokes, rotary keys, and other things were getting put in.

I don't have an injected LS. Is there a lane A and lane B breaker? If so, use those instead of the key.