Progressive Sun Glasses?

GrassStripFlyBoy

Being 50 I've had to use readers the past few years, and this last season found I need them more often on the I pad & cockpit close up stuff.  I'm thinking progressive style might be nice to not have to flip them up for distance.  For those not flying with prescription eyewear, have any tried the progressive readers and are they working as I think they might?

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

As someone who wears bi-focal prescription glasses, I think a straight bi-focal will be better than a progressive. If that is an option. I know they used to make some stick on readers that could be added to sunglasses and such, but I don't know if they are still available. 

As an aside, I buy all my glasses from https://www.zennioptical.com/  very cheap glasses and I've never had any issues with them.  You can even upload a pic of your face and they can put different frames on your noggin to see how they will look on you.

Appreciate the inputs.  I think it's time for a fresh exam.  I've been checked a couple times and bought glasses in past, but both instances the doc shared all I need is readers, and found picking a pair of readers was better than the outcome of the exam / glasses I bought.  But things are probably changing at a faster rate now.

I tried progressive glasses and hated them. When fling my original bi-focal's didn't work well for the distance from the panel. Bi-focal's are good up close and far, but the intermediate area was a problem for trying to read the instrument panel. I got tri-focal's and like them a whole lot better and you don't notice the divisions in the glass when using them. Then I got cataract surgery years ago and didn't need any glasses, but I may be headed back towards some reading glasses.

On 2/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, FlyingMonkey said:

As an aside, I buy all my glasses from https://www.zennioptical.com/  very cheap glasses and I've never had any issues with them.  You can even upload a pic of your face and they can put different frames on your noggin to see how they will look on you.

I have been getting glasses here too. What’s your favorite frame for flying? Thanks

Rich

I recommend Multifocal contact lenses.   I did the progressive glasses when I turned 45, once the multifocal contact lenses came out, I started using them instead.  For the past 15+ years I've been using the extended wear (they also have daily wear available), I leave them in for 4 weeks, then replace them.  It's nice to be able to read the smallest fine print or see things in the distance like I did before needing glasses.  You also can wear whatever sunglasses you pick up without worrying about a prescription.  The FAA does allow Multifocal Contact Lenses, they do not allow Monovision Contact Lenses (one eye is for distance, the other for reading).

Jim