What's the lastest/best/most economical drop in strobe replacement set?

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

IIRC Aveo used to have a set of drop in wing light replacements for the CTSW for about $900.  I'm curious if the best drop-in replacement is still the Aveos, or if anything new has come along.  Thinking about finally dropping the guillotine on my terrible wingtip lights and getting real strobes.

You're ELSA. Grab what fits tour fancy on aircraft spruce 😛

The supplier for the original lights is here: https://position-lights.com/en

Now personally, what I would do if you are replacing everything, is just get rid of the tailbeacon, and have a plug made that you can glue in. Technically you should rebalance the rudder too, since you're changing the weight distribution.

I think I recall you saying you have a uavionix device, and you could just wire the strobing feature to the nav light switch. Or use an existing wire to pull a string through. Use that strong to pull more string and wire. Leave the string there for ease of future maintenance.

That means all you need is the tail light and the right wing light and strobe, less things to go wrong, and a lot less expense.

The aveo ultra or aveo embedded should be just about a drop in replacement, although it is a NAV/Strobe.  I went with the Aveo Powerburst though.  About half the price, but I did create a bracket in CAD and had it laser cut (I would be happy to share it).  The Powerburst have two mounting screws, where the Ultra and Embedded have one much like the stock light.  I have been very pleased with them.

I did as suggested above and used an existing wire to pull 3 wires through.  One for NAV, one for strobe, and one for the strobe sync.  I have the NAV and Strobe wired together for now until I do a panel rebuild and change out switches.  Did this during the wing pull, which made it even easier.

If I did it again though, I would probably go for the AeroLEDs, since I had to fabricate a bracket anyway.  If you want (relatively) affordable, the PowerBurst have done me very well.  If you have money to burn, I would skip the Aveo Ultra/Embedded and go with AeroLED though.