Tundra tire change

Bill3558

Time to change the tires on my 2013 CT with Tundra gear. My first attempt pinched the tube on the wheel and cut a hole in it when I inflated it. So I took it  and a spare tube to my very competent A&P who struggled with it for 90 minutes and then gave up. He could not figure out how to get the wheel halves together without the tune getting in the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Three part tire & tube nomenclature:

First number is total height.

Second number is width.

Third is inner wheel diameter. If this has an R, it's a radial tire (rare for small aircraft).

15x6.00-6 is standard. Where did this info come from that it's "low profile"?

2 hours ago, Anticept said:

Three part tire & tube nomenclature:

First number is total height.

Second number is width.

Third is inner wheel diameter. If this has an R, it's a radial tire (rare for small aircraft).

15x6.00-6 is standard. Where did this info come from that it's "low profile"?

6.00x6 is the standard size. The 15x6.00x6 tire is a lower profile tire. I just compared them side by side earlier this week. The standard tire is about 2 inces taller. The 15x6.00x6 tire was used on some Grunnman, Cessna, and maybe some Cirrus airplanes. I compared them against the tires on a Rans S-6.

Were they the same ply? I have found ply differences even from the same manufacturer between 2 part and 3 part nomenclature tires.

EDIT: Double checked the goodyear aviation specs. You are correct, the outer diameter is slightly larger on the Type III tire (up to 2 inches nominal), while all other dimensions are the same between the two. The 15x has a higher all around load rating. They should take the same tubes though.

Here is the latest info I got from FD and Matco.  If your flying with 6.00x6 Tundra tires and Matco wheels, you may want to hear this.
The ONLY tube that will work is the 6.00 x6 tube with 90degree stem. 
70 degree stem won’t work. 
15 6.00x6 tube won’t work. It’s too wide. Even if you could somehow get it in the tire, you would have folds. 

There is only one place in the country that I could find sells this particular tube. That was Matco. If they run out I guess we are screwed. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a link to a high quality clamp that works? I took my low budget way too long quick clamps out to the hangar today and struggled all the way through. I went to our local hardware store, and every clamp doesn't look DEEP enough to get enough grab on the tire to compress at the bead area. 

Suggestions? 

Matco wheels/ 6.00x6 monster treads

Most of the clamps are all the same. They will work and I have been using them since 2006. For the 4.00 x 6 I use three clamps. For the 6.00 x 6 I use four clamps. I don't slide them all the way in before I clamp them or the tire squeezes down and bottoms out too soon. Keep them backed off a tad and then don't be afraid to apply plenty of pressure when they squeeze down.  If you need more help just give me a call.

I just replaced the tundra tires yesterday, using the Desser "monster" retreads. I took one wheel off at a time and took it to a nearby mechanic. He cursed the (matco) rims for being so narrow with the fat tundra tires. I reused the tubes because they had some shape memory, the new ones looked like they were likely to get pinched.

I didn't have clamps, to join the rim together we used a heavy human standing on the wheel plus a longer bolt to get it started, then smashed it together enough to get the shorter stock bolts in place.

A lot more work than I thought!

46 minutes ago, shiny.ice said:

I just replaced the tundra tires yesterday, using the Desser "monster" retreads. I took one wheel off at a time and took it to a nearby mechanic. He cursed the (matco) rims for being so narrow with the fat tundra tires. I reused the tubes because they had some shape memory, the new ones looked like they were likely to get pinched.

I didn't have clamps, to join the rim together we used a heavy human standing on the wheel plus a longer bolt to get it started, then smashed it together enough to get the shorter stock bolts in place.

This is one reason I haven't "upgraded" to the Tundra tires.  They are quite a bit more work to change out.

3 hours ago, shiny.ice said:

As a general rule I always replace the tubes. The tend to stretch with the tire when aired up, and have to much surface area to fit in a new tire without wrinkling. The wrinkles can lead to leaks. Also the only time I have ever pinched a tube was when trying to reuse an old tube.

52 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

As a general rule I always replace the tubes. The tend to stretch with the tire when aired up, and have to much surface area to fit in a new tire without wrinkling. The wrinkles can lead to leaks. Also the only time I have ever pinched a tube was when trying to reuse an old tube.

the mechanic was VERY leery of even attempting to use the new tube because it was protruding (intruding?) into the wheel halves. I'll probably use someone else next time that is more comfortable with small wheels.

So just wrapped it up. 4 clamps for the win! I went back to the store, and picked up the 350lb clamp force ones, and that did the trick. 2nd wheel was done in 15 mins (including on and off). 

The bucket/ pot also came in handy. Set the back half down to line up with the valve stem, set tire on, add outside half of wheel, lift to insert bolt through the wheel halves. 

Heavy duty clamps was the answer. Makes them almost simple. 

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I use the leakguard tubes which are much thicker than standard.  I had to reuse one once when I didn’t have a new one on hand, and after that it stayed on the airplane for almost three years with no issues.  I change them every time generally, but if you use the thicker tubes and really need to reuse one, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

The standard thickness tubes are like tissue paper and I’d never reuse those.