Tundra tire change

Bill3558

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I use the leakguard tubes which are much thicker than standard.  I had to reuse one once when I didn’t have a new one on hand, and after that it stayed on the airplane for almost three years with no issues.  I change them every time generally, but if you use the thicker tubes and really need to reuse one, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

The standard thickness tubes are like tissue paper and I’d never reuse those.

I use Leakgaurd tubes for almost all of my tires, LSA and standard category.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got some longer bolts with nuts, bolts much smaller in diameter than the holes in the matco wheel halves, and use them to pull the wheel halves together with some air in the tubes.  Then put the usual bolts in one at a time.

WF

After a lot of swearing, I went and bought new clamps from the store. Irwin clamps at 300lbs clamping force. This did the job. The garbage clamps I had would not compress the tire enough. Set the bottom wheel on a bucket and set the outside half on top of the lower. Jiggle to make sure you have solid engagement and are not pinching the tube. Second wheel was a 10min job. 

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

agree, my third change of the two tires was easier. one trick, though, is to remove the pin from a clamp rail. you can then slide the clamp off the rail, put it through the center of the wheel halves, and use that to snug up the wheel rather than using longer bolts.

Looks like your Irwin clamps don't have a pin in it, which makes it even easier.

Also, got a motorcycle tire balancer, but the cones were too small. I ended up 3D printing a couple of adapters.