BRS turn around time

Tip

I did mine about a year ago.  You can pull all the info you need including dismantling the rocket from their website.  Very straight forward. Shipping is going to be very expensive if you insure it as they need to pack it when you get into the thousands.   I think I insured mine for $7000.  I asked BRS what it would cost if Fed Ex lost my chute and assembly.   The look on the counter girls face when she asked “What is this” was priceless when I answered “a rocket propelled parachute for an airplane.”  

I have not dealt with them since they moved from South St. Paul to NC, but I bought a BRS for an airplane I'm building and the wait time is about 3 months.  Of course, that is not a repack so maybe the info is useless.  Call them up and see.  Years ago they never answered the phone but they seem to now.

32 minutes ago, tevbax said:

If you have the BRS removed for repack, can you placard it as inop and still operate the aircraft? CTSW for reference. 

I think no if you have an SLSA, it's required equipment.  ELSA do what you want.

I have an ELSA and I took my airplane out of service for the repack.  I'd hate for the one flight where I needed it to survive to be the one where it's not installed.

I could see a real issue in today's environment of employee  and material shortages and long turn around times. 

I have been flying for over 50 years without a ballistic parachute including sailplanes with no engine. It sure makes you pay attention to good maintenance on engines when you have one. If I had to wait a very long time for a repack or rocket I would not have an issue flying without it.

When you are current flying sailplanes you are not so concerned with a forced landing due to the procedural training you get in sailplanes. I plan on getting back to sailplane flying this year, it's a unique challenge.