FIREWALL BLANKET

Winger

I have been repairing a damaged CT2K and am fitting the Firewall Blanket onto the firewall. It was recommended that I use aluminum tape around the edges of this blanket to prevent the sharp edges of this stainless steel blanket from cutting into the cowling . That is certainly good advice, I found that the black glue/sealing compound supplied by Flight Design is useless for attaching the blanket onto the firewall. It looks like the engine-mount bracket and liberal use of contact cement will keep the blanket and its edges in place.

I feel, however, that this metal blanket poses a substantial hazard to the hoses and wires that pass through the firewall and blanket to the engine and accessories, unless close attention is given to routing these wires and hoses through the blanket in such a way that the sharp edges of the blanket can not cut or damage these wires and hoses. Over time, the slightest contact of any wire or hose to the sharp edges of the blanket could cause numerous dangerous failures and malfunctions. No matter how firmly the blanket is secured to the firewall, engine vibration will eventually cause the sharp edges of this blanket to cut or wear anything that it comes into contact with. The answer to this problem seems to be that we must insure that large enough holes be made in the blanket so that NO sharp edges of the blanket comes into contact with any wire or hoses passing-through. I plan to accomplish this by cutting holes into the blanket that will be large enough to insure that NO EDGE touches a wire, cable or hose. I plan to use enough contact cement around and behind these holes so that there is no possibility of the blanket edges vibrating or moving next to the wires, cables, and hoses.

These are my initial ideas and concerns about this, and I welcome any other input from members on how to deal with this problem .

Hi Winger,

The answers here are fairly simple, but too long to post. Give me a call and I can get you on the right path. Your right about the tube of stuff FD supplies. Toss it. I have never used it. It makes a mess and doesn't hold up. I have done a lot of blankets and have to do in the next two weeks.

Archived