Industry wide poor SLSA logbook entries

Roger Lee

Posted on another forum, but this is very important.

Posted by Carol Carpenter from Rainbow Aviation. Edsel Ford is the head of the LSA for the FAA.

We here have discussed logbook entries before and I wrote a blog on they need to be more complete. I still see very regular where logbooks come in from another mechanic with 3-4 lines for an annual or 100 hr inspection. We also talked about logging in the back of your logbook all SB's that affect you with the date and a sign off. Make sure your mechanic does a good logbook entry. It just isn't acceptable to enter GA language or just 3-4 lines saying this aircraft complies. It isn't that hard so make your mechanic do a good logbook entry.

Logbook entries

I just talked with Edsel Ford at the Light Sport Branch and he is concerned about the quality of the LSRM logbook entries. This site is a good place to discuss your entries. For example, one LSRM signed off a condition inspection for an SLSA as you would for an ELSA. Remember the wording is in the aircraft operating limitation and differs for an SLSA. Remember to use the correct wording when signing off an annual and if your certificate is pending and you sign the entry "pending" you must also list the date of issuance- this will reflect that you are in the 120 day waiting period. All service bulletins complied with must be listed by number- it is not legal to write "all service bulletins complied with". You can download the FAA ADVISORY CIRCULAR 43-9C for more information

Hi Roger. Good topic to discuss. I have been handling my service bulletins by keeping a separate file of all FD and Rotax SB, SI, SA, etc. I note on this document whether they apply to my aircraft and if I have complied with them. At signoff for 100 hour (and annual because I do both at the same time, even if the annual is not due), the LSRM adds a log book entry, "all service bulletins, service instructions and safety alerts pertaining to this aircraft have been complied with per document "(my list)" on file with owner. I keep an electronically filed copy of this living document which is dated and also keep the printed copy of this document with my signoff sheets at each inspecction.

Roger and all, please share some general examples of consequences experienced by others due to legal action for not doing as sugguested. I've heard in the Experimental category that one cannot escape liability as the manufacturer as long as the plane is in service regardless how many times its been resold and inspected. Any safe warstories to share??

Archived