replaced your Garmin 496?

207WF

Mine is 15 years old and has been a good soldier,

but I would like an IFR GPS for practice GPS approaches.

My 496 mounting hole is 4 1/8 x 6 1/4, with plenty of depth behind I think (CTSW). 

so it looks like a GTN 635xi, GTN 650 or GNS 430 might fit the hole.

Maybe I could get toggle switches for com 1, com2,

and since I have an ILS head maybe I could get one for Nav 1, Nav2, and keep the two place intercom.

at least that is what I am hoping for.

Any opinions?

WF

Sounds like an opportunity to do an entire panel upgrade.  You can thank me later.  On a serious note, I’ve read that you can fly IFR in an experimental or LSA such as our FD’s with non-certified equipment.  I may be wrong, but the regs prefer it is certified, but no where does it state it must be certified.  Again, the article and I maybe wrong, but it might be worth looking into.  My advice is worth exactly what I am charging….

This is a fun one.

Alright, so in part 91, there are a few regs that call out for avionics to meet the performance requirements of some TSO. Transponders for example. The transponder does not have to have an actual TSO sticker on it, just that it meets the performance requirements. A whole lot of the part 91 callouts use that "performance" phraseology, or "meets the requirements of" phraseology.

It's mainly part 121 and 135 operations that have to use actual avionics that have certification stickers with a TSOA (TSO Authorization, see FAA Order 8150.1D or revisions for info, as well as 14 CFR 21 Subpart O), and some hitches with how standard airworthiness aircraft work too (14 CFR 21.8 and 14 CFR 21.9). But experimentals? Don't have to follow part 21 and you're not a 121 or 135 op either!

Now that said, if the manufacturer can't provide a TSOA for something you install (14 CFR 45.15), then somehow you must prove that it meets those requirements of the applicable TSO. That right there is the *fun* part if some ASI gets a stick up their butt with you if you don't have any data to support it!

Plus, as a last little sticking point: the TSOA is only valid if the article is installed according to any instructions the manufacturer provides, and continues to be maintained in accordance with any instructions for continued airworthiness.