CT2k 2001 AOI

Pedfr

Hey guys!

Recently joined this group, hope that still active :)

in 2021 bought a CT2k, from 2001. It was my actual interest to own a CT, and looking for in the next year to evolve to a newer model.

My CT2k comes with manual flaps (-8; -4; 0; +15; +20; +26). with supply of parts from Flight Design, we'll change it to Electric Flaps.

Question is that both manuals AOI & Flight Maintenance that we have in the plane, make reference to -12; +40 electric flaps.

I'm searching if anyone have these manuals, with this actual configuration.

Hope your feedback :)

cheers from LPVZ

Pedro Freitas

2 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I would prefer manual flaps, less maintenance,  faster response,  simple and reliable. I couldn't imagine a supercub type with electric flaps. Just me.

not just you.....  I would prefer manual flaps as well....   Pedfr   can you explain the mechanism please ?   just curious 

The mechanism is quite similar to the electric one. there is this lever in between the seats, which will actuate on the column rod on the back of the seats, that connects to the flap's rod.

What we'll replace is this system till the connection of the column rod with flaps rod, where it will be installed the actuator. The swicth, will be the standard one, on the bottom panel.

We are doing with support of Flight Design. Still, all system is prepared for the usual flap specs (-12 til +40) but my plane is -8 till +26.

Haven't find any manual with this type of flaps, and also still no answer regarding this with flight design.

We want to change the manual to electric because isn't actual to much easy to actuate it.... the position of the lever & the force need to change it (of course, within the expected IAS), is always a strugle & distration.... 

But considering & happy to have your thoughs!

Thank you.

PF

IMG_2195.jpg

the parachute handle (GRS) it is on the Bottom Panel, the rear bulkhead we have the extinguisher.

We do not hit the extinguisher with the elbow, because also the seat is pushed ahead, still the angle is very strange with the elbow pointing up....

Bottom line, it is not confortable to use,  that's why we are changing it. 

Have just received a Manual from Flight Design, from the first edition CT, i guess, still the info is quite unreadable....

Guess what we shall do is to mesure the existing angles and program them on the electric flap control....

image.png.e1abc674bdb8bfa81c30b6cfc9bc1838.png

IMG_2196.thumb.jpg.01645669b00e1b9a3cee3347602e87e9.jpg

We have to measure the flaps with an angle finder on later models with the electric flaps (not going to talk about straightedge alternative here).

Hopefully the manual has a position for measuring 0 out on the wing (usually for inspections). If not, mark it before you begin swapping it out so you have a position to start from, and measure from there.

this is an excert of a CT2k manual, but this manual states -12 to +40 flaps.

i'll have to check the existing angles now on the plane for each position to take conclusions....

the strange thing is, am i the only one with a CT2k with manual flaps -8 to +26?! 😅 

A7C95D08-7B3B-490D-902B-AB3E941C846A.jpeg

Maybe you couldn't go to 40 because it would require the lever to travel too far.

Also, 40 degrees, and the 35 degree settings on older CTLS models are actually counter-productive in a lot of cases, and now 30 is the maximum for many models now. More doesn't mean better, and 30 degrees is already a LOT of flaps.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, Pedfr said:

the strange thing is, am i the only one with a CT2k with manual flaps -8 to +26?! 😅 

Hi Pedro !

Never seen a manual flaps version - thanks for the photos & description - I really like the simplicity (maybe not the difficulty of use ?)

Our CT2k has electric flaps and goes through the full -12º to +40º range, measured/adjusted using digital angle guage (0º when flaps align with fuselage).

The original digital flaps control unit was removed by a previous owner & replaced with a simple up/off/down toggle switch with a cable indicator showing flaps position - watch the indicator till flaps are at desired setting and then flick switch to 'off' position.

Normally cruise -12º and power-at-idle landing at +40º.

Cheers,

David

Australia

So finally we had access to the actual Manual of the plane, stating the Manual or Electric Flaps, -8 / +26 :)

We'll keep this range, as also actually we mainly operate it with +15 or max +20 for landing. Our airfield, LPVZ, mainly have cross-winds so it is always a rollercoaster with the CT2k 😅

As for the system that shall be installed, we are getting all parts from Flight Design, it shall be similar to the ones installed on the CTSW.

We receive some parts of it, waiting the remaining, hope to install them this summer.

There isn't much info on the reliability of the CT electric flaps, but guess no-news, good-news? :)

Thank you all for the comments.

Best regards,

PF

image.png.0f3a20fe223ad89ccbc6c7253e87ccf6.pngimage.png.3710b1bf777e9dcf2eb4ffefbed784e2.png