Odd Occurrance - Need Advice

Any of them will fail as demonstrated on the Van's forum when exposed to too much heat. The Ducati has been around for decades and works just fine when used and installed properly. There are close to 55-60K Rotax engines with approximately 6 million run hours that use them and they have been on 912's since 1989.  Owners and Mfg's are their own worst enemies. 

"Of those 60K Ducati Regulators, I would hazard to guess that many have failed."

Sorry Mike this statement isn't true or Rotax would have also dumped them long ago.

Ducati VR have a low failure rate and is usually caused by poor ventilation or poor voltage draw. (low draw or excessive draw causes excessive internal heat) Builders and Mfg's have caused most failures. That said anything made by man can fail. Nothing is 100%.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:10 AM, Warmi said:

Never had any issues, not even once , with my Ducati regulator - 690 hours and counting , hopefully , it will stay that way.

There are many that have 3K-4K hours on them or 20 plus years old. You shouldn't assume or listen to the few John Does on the forums.

My voltage has been reading about 12.3 for years with no issues. I always

thought it was low but nothing I did fixed it, new VR didn't help. After the 

hose change it has risen to 13.7 ever since. loose or bad connection I guess

all is still good after 7 months.

For what it’s worth, occasional electrical issues have ceased for me (knock on wood) after packing the VR connector with dielectric grease.  I’ve spent hours  cleaning/tightening ground & shunt connections in response to minor issues but this seems to have alleviated those.  

Seems like every springtime I get ground issues, probably due to humidity.  I loose all my grounds, spray contact cleaner on them, and retighten. That solves the problem until next year.

I know when this is happening because all my engine gauges start swinging wildly, sometimes rpm related other times just on their own.  That tells me the grounds are poor.

Other than that annual ritual and the little one time blip that started this thread, my electrical system has been aces.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Seems like every springtime I get ground issues, probably due to humidity.  I loose all my grounds, spray contact cleaner on them, and retighten. That solves the problem until next year.

I know when this is happening because all my engine gauges start swinging wildly, sometimes rpm related other times just on their own.  That tells me the grounds are poor.

Other than that annual ritual and the little one time blip that started this thread, my electrical system has been aces.

Best solution.

MOVE TO DRY ARIZONA. PROBLEM SOLVED. :)