BRS Repack and rocket

TomC

1 hour ago, procharger said:

People going to stop sending these in before long. Chute repack is a joke in my opinion

go exp. take it out.

I understand the sentiment, but I'm experimental and I wouldn't remove the BRS.  I consider it an excellent piece of safety equipment, and a real selling point of the CT series.  Yes it's expensive, but it's also something that can turn several low probability but unsurvivable events into very survivable events. The service intervals are obviously very conservative because BRS wants to make sure this thing works, *every time*.  Even if you don't want to pay for the BRS service, I'd leave it installed and it will most likely work as designed, even if it's been 15 years.

Everybody has their own risk analysis and YMMV, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it (e.g. "die").

• 6 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, TomC said:

What is your experience with the response time from BRS? I filled out the online form, made 2 phone calls and sent a service request email and haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm communicating with the place in NC as referenced on FD USA website. Should I try to contact the Minnesota facility? However, I can't find their contact info.

Thanks

Tom

I had the same experience the last few days. Called a number of times and let’s a message. Filled out the online form. Finally I hit “0” and got the operator who gave me all the info I needed—not your typical operator. I have an RMA.

Anyone have any suggestions about how best to pack and ship it for repacking? (Last time I drove it to the MN facility and picked it up.)

@Doug G. I just had my repack done at the BRS facility in Pinebluff, NC. I'm right down the road in SC, so it didn't have far to go, but I rolled mine up in a moving blanket and then rolled it up in a heavy duty cardboard box from Home Depot to make it very tight and form-fitting, then taped the heck out of it. I removed it and sent it in on 11/10 and UPS is dropping it back off here at my house tomorrow, so total turnaround time, including shipping there and back, is exactly 21 days. 

Nick

On 11/30/2023 at 9:53 PM, Bulldog said:

@Doug G. I just had my repack done at the BRS facility in Pinebluff, NC. I'm right down the road in SC, so it didn't have far to go, but I rolled mine up in a moving blanket and then rolled it up in a heavy duty cardboard box from Home Depot to make it very tight and form-fitting, then taped the heck out of it. I removed it and sent it in on 11/10 and UPS is dropping it back off here at my house tomorrow, so total turnaround time, including shipping there and back, is exactly 21 days. 

Nick

Hey Nick, I just put together that you bought Bill Ince's airplane.  You got a great airplane there, I was tempted to buy it myself.

13 hours ago, Bulldog said:

@FlyingMonkey It’s been my first foray into the LSA world, and they’re pretty hard to beat. N663CT has been solid for me. I have had a few maintenance items, but that’s to be expected, and all in all it’s been a great plane.

I think over time you'll find the overall operating costs vastly reduced over a certified airplane.  Especially since your airplane is ELSA, if you are happy turning your own wrenches.

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I think over time you'll find the overall operating costs vastly reduced over a certified airplane.  Especially since your airplane is ELSA, if you are happy turning your own wrenches.

Definitely - I’ve discovered that ELSA is aviation’s best kept secret. Might be the final frontier of affordability in flying, and the airplanes aren’t ancient.