OshKosh 2022

4RJN

Be sure to stop by the Flight Design booth.  Lots of interesting changes in the air in Flight Design USA.

Had a nice chat with the German rep on site.  Filled me in on some of the concerns and background of the situation in the Ukraine and Czech Republic.

Interesting discussions with the German on the E-PROPS, DUC, MT and other propeller combinations.

11 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

Be sure to stop by the Flight Design booth.  Lots of interesting changes in the air in Flight Design USA.

Had a nice chat with the German rep on site.  Filled me in on some of the concerns and background of the situation in the Ukraine and Czech Republic.

Interesting discussions with the German on the E-PROPS, DUC, MT and other propeller combinations.

Ok, what came out of the prop discussion?

The props discussion was just an informal, casual discussion.   The guy I talked with said they worked a lot with E-PROPS and he was impressed that E-PROPS was making fans for many industrial applications, nut just airplane props.  He said he was told by the company they made over 20,000 fans/props a year.  He said the head engineer was quite an innovative fellow. 

He said MT was the Mercedes of props with Mercedes prices.  They are made in Bavaria so we had a couple of jokes about the Bayerns.  (He is in Berlin and my wife is Bavarian - kind of like Boston vs Texas).  DUC didn't get so many raves.  The guy was not totally convinced on carbon fiber prop hubs but it was subjective.  He didn't say anything bad about any of them.   I got the impression FD is doing a fair amount of interface with E-PROPS. 

I lived 10 years in Germany so we had many things in common to chat about and it was a gossipy, low-key chat.  I'm trying to avoid putting words in his mouth.  I left with no concern about running E-PROPS on my FD-CTSW. 

He seemed upbeat about the company.  I get the impression they have no plans to work with the Russians on the plant that is now behind the lines.  He said the plant was occupied but had not been damaged.  FD has about 30% of the workforce still behind the Russian lines and they are trying to get them out to European countries.  They can't get through Ukraine anymore, it has to be round-about.

The Flight Design booth is outside the northwest corner of Hangar C.  Booth 194 on James Ray Blvd, the road that slants from the Main Gate to the Education/Career Center.  There is a FD plane there, maybe an F2 (I really didn't pay any attention).

Tom Peghiny and Tom Gutman Sr. and Jr. are there.  Also a rep from Germany.  Stop by for a chat.

1 minute ago, Jim Meade said:

The Flight Design booth is outside the northwest corner of Hangar C.  Booth 194 on James Ray Blvd, the road that slants from the Main Gate to the Education/Career Center.  There is a FD plane there, maybe an F2 (I really didn't pay any attention).

Tom Peghiny and Tom Gutman Sr. and Jr. are there.  Also a rep from Germany.  Stop by for a chat.

Yup, already did, just not about props.

21 minutes ago, Towner said:

Just curious, how do you think the attendance was this year compared to last at Oshkosh?

If available camping spaces is anything to go by, then this year was larger, During the start of the show, they were rolling a field outside of the grounds to park airplanes because the airplane camping had reached capacity. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, Jim Meade said:

The props discussion was just an informal, casual discussion.   The guy I talked with said they worked a lot with E-PROPS and he was impressed that E-PROPS was making fans for many industrial applications, nut just airplane props.  He said he was told by the company they made over 20,000 fans/props a year.  He said the head engineer was quite an innovative fellow. 

He said MT was the Mercedes of props with Mercedes prices.  They are made in Bavaria so we had a couple of jokes about the Bayerns.  (He is in Berlin and my wife is Bavarian - kind of like Boston vs Texas).  DUC didn't get so many raves.  The guy was not totally convinced on carbon fiber prop hubs but it was subjective.  He didn't say anything bad about any of them.   I got the impression FD is doing a fair amount of interface with E-PROPS. 

I lived 10 years in Germany so we had many things in common to chat about and it was a gossipy, low-key chat.  I'm trying to avoid putting words in his mouth.  I left with no concern about running E-PROPS on my FD-CTSW. 

He seemed upbeat about the company.  I get the impression they have no plans to work with the Russians on the plant that is now behind the lines.  He said the plant was occupied but had not been damaged.  FD has about 30% of the workforce still behind the Russian lines and they are trying to get them out to European countries.  They can't get through Ukraine anymore, it has to be round-about.

Aren't the e-prop hubs carbon fiber too?