Nose wheel removal

ctbob

No strut removal. Just remove the two screws on each side and lift the wheel pant up. I use a bungee cord to hold it up out of the way. If the “V” notch isn’t deep enough to raise the pant high enough to clear the axle nut then deepen the “V” notch. 
p.s. you’ll need some weights to hold the tail way down to lift the front wheel off the ground.

Thanks Roger.  Thought it should be simpler, but not sure I understand what the “v” notch is.  Is it something you’ve added/carved.  I notched a curve at the pant bottom for inflation access.  And I’ve discovered the value of low tech by using weight on the tail for raising the nose.  Five gallon buckets with water work great.  Do you run the bungee up into the engine bay?  Where to anchor?  Should I deepen my notch…it’s only about an inch at most.

The V notch I’m talking about is right at the top of the wheel pant fairing. If need be just cut it a little deeper to allow the wheel pant to rise higher so the axle nut can be accessed. I use a Dremel tool with a sanding drum. I hook the bungee at the bottom edge of the wheel pant and hook the top of the bungee on the metal tubes of the wheel strut to hold the wheel pant up out of the way so it’s easier to access the axle nut.

All worked great as you suggested, especially about the v-notching.  However, I had to beat, and I mean beat, the axle out.  I always use a technique of screwing down the nut most of the way, then holding a flat piece of thick metal over the nut, and then whacking it.  Now, when reassembling the front wheel, I cannot fully seat both the axle cap to it’s to the fork, and the M12 axle nut with washer to the pilot’s side fork.  I’m only able to screw the nut down part way.  The problem is that there’s about a 1/16 th inch gap between the spacers and the fork when fully assembled.  What did I do wrong?  I follow the assembly pictures from the company manual.  Other than the beating, I presume.
Besides the bigger hammer approach how do you remove a stuck axle?