Ethanol Based Fuels

Ken

Hi CT Folks:

So I started using ethanol based fuel 93 octane. I have a Fuel Scan 450 - J.P. Instrument in my plane. When using 100 LL or 93 Octane non ethanol it would be spot on with my manual fuel measurements after a flight. Since using 93 ethanol the JPI 450 shows 3 to 4 gallons more fuel than I actually have after a 3 hour flight. 

Does this make any sense? If so, how?

Also, I seem to be using some oil since using ethanol fuel. No leaks and I pulled the plugs and they all normal.  1140 total hours on the engine. Thoughts?????

Ken 

N296CT

2VA3 

Ethanol had less energy per gallon. Don't know if it's 3-4 gallons worth though unless you were using straight ethanol.

If that airplane has been using 100ll its whole life, things are going to be gummed. Ethanol gas is a powerful solvent and is probably dislodging goo that plugged up holes before.

Visible exterior evidence?

I’ve been using 91 octane with 10% ethanol since I bought mine. In California, that or 100LL are about my only options. Of course, on a few long cross country trips, I’ve had to use 100LL on stops on the way.

The most oil I’ve ever had to add between 50 hour oil changes is less than 1/2 liter during the full 50 hours. Normally, I don’t add any between changes.

It seems I am a little slower and burn a little more fuel than some on the forum, but I don’t know if that is fuel related or just a little slower plane. When using 100LL, I haven’t noticed a difference, but really wasn’t paying enough attention to notice anything small.

My prop is pitched to about 5600 at 3000 feet. Cruising at 5150 rpm at 3000 gives me a burn of 4.9-5.1 with a tas of about 107. 

I haven’t had any issues running the ethanol  though.

I never thought about my fuel having less energy. I wonder if that is why I’m a little slower?

It has been using for the most part 93 octane ethanol free gasoline but 100 LL at times on X-country trips. No visible signs at all. I took the cowlings completely off and saw no signs of any leaks. This is the first time I have ever had to add oil except for oil changes. Also, all the temps are perfect as is the oil pressure.

Thanks,

Ken