Fluid leaks and stopping them

Roger Lee

Hi All,

I know I have mentioned this before another thread, but have had a few calls lately on it. If you have any type of leak on your plane (i.e. brake fluid, fuel or oil) at a screw in fitting then use Loctite 567. It is a white paste for threads and for temps up to 400 degrees. I have never had a leak when I have used this. I buy it from RS Hughes:

https://www.rshughes.com/products/079340_56747.html

• 1 month later...

Have you seen many cases where the coolant leaks, not from the hose or hose-to-airframe fittings, but from the threads between the two parts of the fitting that attaches the cooland hose to the tops of the cylinders? I had one leak a bit on the right rear side recently. Wayne Flemington fixed it up with locktight. He says he sees this a lot when the engines run hot, as they do in the SoCal desert in the summer. You can see signs of the evaporated coolant on the top of the fittings.

WF

Yes I have seen this and fixed it. I fixed it on my own plane too. You take the fitting off including the flange. Use a heat gun and warm it. Unscrew the fitting. Clean it with lacquer thinner and then apply Loctite 648 retainer. While it is wet put the flange back on and turn the fitting or tube where you want it. Either let it sit over night or warm it with the heat gun to speed the curing process. I have addressed this same issue on a few other forums. It's an easy fix.

I have found the screw type hose clamps FD uses leak often as well. I don't know why they don't use the spring clamps. Spring clamps expand and contract with the engine and do not leak.

When the engine gets up to temps, it expands and the screw hose clamps do not and dig into the hoses. Then once the engine cools down, coolant will leak out ever so slightly.

Every 100 hr I check all of FD's hose clamps and they are loose. After time they have been tightened so much that they end up making the hoses unserviceable. The hoses going to #2 top cyl head and the 25 mm hoses going to the cooling system are the ones that always leak.

Next time you have your cowls off, run your finger under the elbow and I bet you will find evidense of coolant leaking.

Archived