New Rotax fuel pump

Roger Lee

Roger,

My 912ULS2 has about 250 hours with the original pump.

Are you recommending that your customers replace these "prophylactically"? Or possibly, like voltage regulators, maybe just buy one and carry it along as a spare?

I was wondering if the early fuel pumps have a high "infant mortality" rate, and if one makes it to "maturity" if it might be best to leave well enough alone.

My second "old style" fuel pump was found to be leaking last week after 60 hours of use.

LOCKWOOD said the new fuel pump wouldn't be available in the field for another 2 months so replaced the leaking pump with another "old style".

Has anyone heard anything different about availability date?

the first pump intalled on the 912 was good...it was a Pierburg

then Rotax changed (don't recall why) for the AC pump...which was (IS) not as good

If your engine has a Pierburg..you should be fine..and..in your case you have the electric back up

and..since your Arrow is EXP,, you also could get the ''Billet pump''

I do carry a spare

Jacques, do you have any idea what engine serial number - for instance, "engines with serial number below ________", might have the Pierburg fuel pump? Or, is the manufacture's name on the pump? I have a 2006 and will probably have to replace my fuel pump when I do the rubber replacement later this year but I'm curious what pump I might have? If it's a Pierburg, it might be a good one to keep as a spare after I replace it.

If you have a Pierburg it is written right on the side. If you have a an AC pump there is no reason to toss it out just because. If it is working then leave it alone. Yes some have failed right out of the box and many have run for a 1000 hrs.

Hi Roger. My fuel pump has no concerns and I won't replace this unless it is mandatory to do so when I do the rubber hose replacement. Do I recall reading that the fuel pump is supposed to be replaced when the rubber replacement is done?

It depends on the part number on the pump. Technically Rotax does not make you replace the pump unless the Part Number on the Pump corrisponds with the pump sold with hoses. They want to make sure that the part removed is the same as the part replaced. That being said its actually a dumb idea since even if you buy the pump with hoses you still have to remove the feed line since the one supplied on the pump isn't long enough to reach the sump.

Pierburg no longer wanted to supply pumps for aircraft, they stopped production in 2005.

Hi Jeremy,

I know you and I have talked about this, but since you have to cut off then you might as well order one without the hoses. Cutting one Rotax hose off makes it just as bad as no hoses. You save about $400 doing that way to.

Agreed, cutting the hose voids the TSO anyways. There not really any way around, to be honest if a plane went down the investigator would probably note it but chances are nothing would come of it unless the failure was directly related to the hose leaking. I'm all for saving money but you want to be safe and legal, this is another one of those grey areas we all love!

Hi Dick,

You need to remove the screw clamps and use only band clamps on the fuel line and you should be using band clamps on the fire sleeve as well. All the fuel line in the system should be band clamps except where the fuel filter is. Then those screw clamps ought to be the solid band type with a screw and nut verses the standard open slot hole type we typically use on water hose around our home.

Hi Roger. One good thing about replacing the rubber will be that I can clean up the type of clamps used on my engine to be uniformly correct band type clamps and use of the non-slotted screw clamps at the fuel filter pump as you call out. I think that you or someone has indicated that the spring type clamps used for the water hoses are correct and should still be used? No leaks or problems with the fuel pump and this was replaced in 2009. I would think this would be OK to keep and just replace the hoses.

Note: edited this to cross out "pump" and replace with "filter".

Hi Dick,

Any coolant hose with the constant compression spring clamp needs to keep that style of clamp for a good reason. It adjust to expansion and contraction automatically, plus the hose compression over time. They need to stay. So long as you have a good fuel pump leave it alone. It will most likely stay good for a long time. When the others have leaked

(#1 problem) or failed (more rare) it has usually happened in a short time frame. Yes older pumps do fail from use, but they also have a proven track record on your plane. Leave a good pump alone.

Archived