Dynon AOA Probe installation questions

hhobbit

Hi all,

I have a D180, and am considering installing the AOA probe from Dynon.

Can anyone say if it is difficult to instal, did the extra nylon air line go through the wing and pillar easily, and did the wing have to be slid out or removed, stuff like that.

Finally does there exist any LOA from the factory for this equipment?

Hi Hobbit,

I have the capability, but never use it and don't personally see a need. That said if you do put one in the pitot tube has to be replaced with a much larger one for the AOA. Yes the wing wing need to at least come out about 15" and you will have to drill a larger hole in the wing where the old pitot tube went. Not for the faint of heart. There is a metal tube insert in the wing and drilling can very easily go wrong and cause a problem. It must be straight and not stray. FD was going to come out with a service letter at one time to do this because other people had ask, but were unable to perform the task. I have not seen any instructions on this and you may want to ask FD is such a service instruction exist. I was going to do this very thing for a customer once, but once I found out what needed to be done stopped. The chance for error and high expense is a little to high for me.

Roger

your description of that inner metal sleeve inside the wing is of concern, it sounds a no-no for anyone without a specially made drilling jig. If such a tool was available for hire from FD then the job would be straightforward enough probably. But there is the question of threading an extra air line which in fact should be ascertained before widening the wing opening.

I would not go ahead without a factory LOA on this one!

Now if Dynon had a probe that was the same diameter as the present one, then it would be simple enough.

Roger

your description of that inner metal sleeve inside the wing is of concern, it sounds a no-no for anyone without a specially made drilling jig. If such a tool was available for hire from FD then the job would be straightforward enough probably. But there is the question of threading an extra air line which in fact should be ascertained before widening the wing opening.

I would not go ahead without a factory LOA on this one!

Now if Dynon had a probe that was the same diameter as the present one, then it would be simple enough.

Do you have the pitot tube that is the size of a pencil, or the one the size of broom handle?

Not aware of anything larger, so I would say the pencil one. BTW am writing to FD for advice. One desirable solution might be an adaptor to pass two pressure lines past the narrow hole in the wing. There can't be all that much to fabricating a secondary pitot head, but it would require a bit of cut and try to see if there was a reasonably smooth pressure curve for increasing angle of attack.

It appears it is possible to run a second line down the pillar, but I still need to hear that unambiguously from FD.

Hi Hobbit,

The metal tube can be drilled, but just be careful. You will need a long shank drill bit extension or a long drill bit. Running the second air line is not hard. I'm fairly sure you have the smaller pitot tube with the large open end to the tube. The AOA pitot is 3 times as thick and has a small hole in the front and one small hole under the front edge of the pitot tube. This can be had from Dynon. The hole you drill must be a friction fit, but doesn't have to be real tight. A tiny bit of silicone sealer on the tube can seal it and hold it in place if it is a tad loose.

Archived