Power Loss on Climb Out

FlyingMonkey

2 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I had to use a 120 degree fitting for the fuel valve connection to prevent a water trap. The total length of the hose assembly is very critical in order to fit properly. That's why I used AN hose push fittings and Gates injector hose to be able to make many length adjustments to get it right the same goes for the other end of the fuel valve. I used Gates injection hose and AN hose push fittings inside the cabin and teflon in the engine compartment. 

Thanks for that.  I decided to use teflon everywhere, knowing there would be some teething pains getting everything right behind the panel.  I looked for a 135° fitting and couldn't find one...it didn't even occur to me to look for 120°...duh!  So I just ordered that, so I will have a 90°, 120°, and 180° (way too much) fitting on hand to mock up the right geometry.

Do you happen to know the length of your hose from the firewall to the 120° fitting?  It would be nice to know what you have to know if I'm in the ballpark when I measure.

6 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Thanks for that.  I decided to use teflon everywhere, knowing there would be some teething pains getting everything right behind the panel.  I looked for a 135° fitting and couldn't find one...it didn't even occur to me to look for 120°...duh!  So I just ordered that, so I will have a 90°, 120°, and 180° (way too much) fitting on hand to mock up the right geometry.

Do you happen to know the length of your hose from the firewall to the 120° fitting?  It would be nice to know what you have to know if I'm in the ballpark when I measure.

It's all trial and error, I think it will be very difficult to do teflon to and from the fuel valve. When installing disconnect the fuel valve,  then reinstall it. I guess if you make it out of Gates hose then you can send it to Aircraft Specialty. 

3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

It's all trial and error, I think it will be very difficult to do teflon to and from the fuel valve. When installing disconnect the fuel valve,  then reinstall it. I guess if you make it out of Gates hose then you can send it to Aircraft Specialty. 

I agree, it's a hassle.  But everything is in place and good now, I can just attach the upper hose to the fitting and then the valve, without removing it.  I'll have to be a little careful with everything, but I installed the valve and then the hoses to it before, so it should work out.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, Madhatter said:

I had to use a 120 degree fitting for the fuel valve connection to prevent a water trap. 

You nailed it.  I just mocked it up and the 120 degree fitting makes a perfect, straight, almost horizontal but very slightly downward route from the upper firewall fitting.  Thanks!

After changing the fuel pump, trimming back the fuel pump vent line, and replacing the fuel line behind the panel that had a potential pressure trap in it, I have flown the airplane twice.  Both flights were uneventful.  The first flight was just in the pattern, the second was in the pattern and the area just around the airport so I could test out to WOT. 

Temperatures have been mild the last few days, so I have to wait for a hot day to make sure there is absolutely no vapor issue going on.  I'm hoping that happens over the long weekend.

Thanks to everybody that contributed to resolving this.