2 more mountain videos

josjonkers

Wind conditions vary depending on wind direction and altitude.

Down lower going through a gap you can get winds exceeding 30kts for a short distance and abating further west when out of the funnel while winds aloft are 15 kts or so.

Typically upper winds >25 kts give rise to rotor turbulence and more extreme funnel effects.

One thing that doesn't bother me is daytime heating and thermals along the ridges with both updrafts and downdrafts. If winds are moderate these are typically very predictable and I almost always know where to expect which, so I can either avoid them or use them to my advantage.

I remember a flight with a friend of mine in a C-170 where he kept complaining that he was barely able to maintain altitude (let alone climb) while he was flying along the valley while I was at full idle about half a mile off his wing trying not to climb. I then proceeded to fly in front of him and told him to follow me at a safe distance to introduce him to flying closer to the ridges into the rising air. Flatlanders do find this very intimidating and prefer to fly along the centre of the valley with more downdrafts as a result. It takes practice and confidence.

So it all depends on the particular day but¸ >25kts aloft you have to be wary and be prepared to turn back if things are to turbulent.

Regards,

Jos

Archived