No GPS for a few minutes today

wlfpckrs

Ever have this happen? Mrs. Wlfpckrs and I made a day trip to Myrtle Beach/CRE today to visit friends vacationing there. When I started the plane, it appeared that the GPS was picking up most of the satellites, as usual. There had been storms in the area earlier, but the skies were pretty clear when I was getting ready to return home. The plane had probably warmed up for at least 5 minutes or so before I moved from the parking area. ATC had instructed me taxi and hold short for takeoff. As I was doing my run-up and getting ready to take off, I noticed that my GPS wasn't working. I had punched in my destination airport ID, and there was a question mark over the origin airport. There was no heading and no mileage to destination. I turned on my backup, battery-operated GPS, and the same thing happened. I told ATC that I was having a problem with my GPS and to give me a minute, if possible. Fortunately, there were no planes waiting behind me. At about the time I was getting ready to taxi back to the GA parking area to regroup, both GPS's started working properly.

Yes this does happen and is more common than many think. In New Mexico it has been happening a lot in the southern areas. The reason is the government and some private contractors are doing some testing on another system around the country. The outage shouldn't last, but it is happening. I just read about this on another forum.

Archived