Cruise Performance Table?

round_peg

I have just become the co-owner of a 2006 CTsw (yes, congratulations are in order). We are still awaiting delivery and in the meantime I'm trying to figure out some of the transition issues (from a Cessna 172). The one that's bugging me right now is cruise performance. The old Cessna came with a table of BHP, RPM and TAS for a variety of throttle settings and altitudes. I was able to interpolate and expand this table and I found it to be really helpful for flight planning and fuel management. I find a real paucity of similar data for the CT. The POH is really sparse. Can anyone help with this question, or tell me why the CT makes it unnecessary? Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply!

That document is perfect, but it's for the CTLS. Close enough for government work?

They are very close and if you are cutting it that close you will be at 6-7 hours of flight anyway so ...Time for a break DONT RUN OUT OF GAS. :D . Caps intentional...

They are very close and if you are cutting it that close you will be at 6-7 hours of flight anyway so ...Time for a break DONT RUN OUT OF GAS. :D . Caps intentional...

Always good advice...!

No, not a matter of cutting it close but more a matter of liking the knowledge of what RPM settings are needed to maintain a given BHP at a given altitude, and the resulting TAS. Total pilot geek stuff.

... The old Cessna came with a table of BHP, RPM and TAS for a variety of throttle settings and altitudes...

the old cessna had a fixed pitch prop, the ctsw has a ground adjustable prop. performance is the result of a prop pitch / rpm ratio.

i suggest that you begin flight planning for a 5 gph fuel burn and refuel when down to 10 gallons. you can get more precise if you need to after you see what your performance is at your prop setting.

IOW plan on a fuel stop at 575nm

the old cessna had a fixed pitch prop, the ctsw has a ground adjustable prop. performance is the result of a prop pitch / rpm ratio.

i suggest that you begin flight planning for a 5 gph fuel burn and refuel when down to 10 gallons. you can get more precise if you need to after you see what your performance is at your prop setting.

IOW plan on a fuel stop at 575nm

I know, one of the new items to consider is the adjustable prop pitch. However... the CTLS performance table doesn't specify a prop pitch. One thing that jumps out at me looking at this table is that the Rotax doesn't require as much throttle adjustment to maintain a given power output, compared to the tractor engine in the Cessna. Fuel consumption and TAS hardly changes either. So maybe it's a total non-issue with the CT.

I can't believe the performance chart. If 5500 rpm at 3000 feet is 100% power, it seems there is no way you can pull 83% power at 12,000 feet using 5200 rpm. Is this for the 914 turbo? WF

I was prepared to accept that the Rotax and the Lycoming are two very different engines, and leave it that -- but for curiosity's sake if nothing else, I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

It could be based on a 914 and maybe a 912 too if it has an in flight adjustable prop that can be set to 5800 WOT. Rotax bases their figures on an engine that can get 5800, which we can't. The figures in the manuals are not set up for engines that only get 5500 rpm WOT. You have to remember when looking at a manual that these engines go on all sorts of aircraft worldwide and not just the US and on all types of aircraft.

but rog, a normaly asperated engine cannot achieve 83% at 12,000'

its more like 3% x 12 = 36% reduction and that would be if you were getting 5,800 @ 12,000' WOT ( a pitch setting that wouldn't be useful )

you would be limited to ~ 64%, next adjust for 5,500 max and coarser pitch and you will be under 60%.

Hi Ed,

I knew I hated math and I stand corrected and remove maybe the 912. laugh.gif Since I didn't do any figuring that was why I said maybe the 912. I our manuals many items are mixed with the 912UL, 912ULS and the 914 Turbo so you need to read and separate out which one you are looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just partially figured out the problem with the FD cruise performance chart. The % power shown, like the 83% figure I did not believe, is actually stated as the percent of MCP (maximum continuous power). Roger's chart from Rotax shows that max continuous power, at 5500 rpm, is 90% of max power at 5800 rpm (at sea level). That suggests that the 83% in the FD chart is really only 83% of 90%, or 74.7% power. That still seems like too much for 12,000 DA. So, I want to interpret the 83% as 83% of the max continuous power that would be available at 12,000 feet (which might be only about 55% power). If you look in the FD chart it also shows 5500 rpm at 3,000 DA as 100% MCP. I want to interpret this as having your prop pitched that way. (Roger's ideal if I usually cruise at 3,000.) So, it says that if you pitch your prop that way and go to 12000 DA, it takes 83% of full throttle (assuming power is linear in throttle) to get 120 knots true at 5.2 gph. That does seem pretty close! The thing that I still don't get is that the chart says you are generating 77 hp at that setting, which seems way too high. WF

Archived