CT to ELSA

Roger Lee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JR Robinson here in San Jose at 408-291-7681.

BTW I just saw a brand spanking new 8130-21G out 2 weeks ago. This replaces the last order also called 8130.21G so no confusion there. It is actually much better worded but still confusing. Leave it to bureaucrats to make something simple as clear as stirred mud.

From section 4084:

(8) Except for takeoffs and landings, this aircraft may not be operated over densely

populated areas or in congested airways.

Note: This limitation is applicable for phase I and II and should be issued in

accordance with paragraph 4075b(1) and (2) of this order.

Damn, I guess I can only fly over the desert.

(9) This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely

populated areas, unless directed by air traffic control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained

to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons

or property on the ground.

This sort of contradicts the previous paragraph and is essentially identical to the limitations of FAR 91.119 for certificated aircraft.

(10) This aircraft is to be operated under VFR day only.

Ouch, No IFR or night.

(11) After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night

and/or instrument flight in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under

VFR day only.

Wait, it's OK. Note the legaleeze here. This sort of wording absolves the examiner from ever certifying that the plane is properly equipped.

Phase one is the limited range, usually 25miles from base, day, vfr flight operations you need to conduct on a new homebuilt, coverted warbird, or substantially modified plane in the experimental category that explore the flight envelope and serve to vet the plane's airworthiness before it is allowed to operate generally.

In your program letter believe it or not you can ask for a phase one distance. I have a friend here at Ryan with his RV that ask for and got 300 miles for the first 40 hrs. This is the second time he has done this.

Mack,

When you get a phase one in your letter of operations. you should be able to just sign it off in the logbook because you have more than enough hours already on the plane. You see more restrictive pahse one letter's for first time flight in kit built type planes. You are only changing categories and your plane has been flying so it has already proven itself.

• 1 month later...

EXPERIMENTAL in 3" letters or larger must be on the fuselage AND visible to any passenger has to be this placard information:

Passenger Warning: This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft.

Also, the placard should be fireproof. No kidding.

You can see the required placards in my prior Sky Arrow photos in this thread. I got them from Aircraft Spruce (I think) for about $2 each*. I did not remove any existing placards.

If it was a prior S-LSA, the passenger warning will read as below (not Amateur Built)

4187720062_eb23e5b659.jpg

I used Michael Huffman for my S-LSA to E-LSA conversion. He did all the paperwork, and conducted a quite comprehensive inspection of the aircraft.

http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com/About_Us.htm

If you're in Kentucky, he's a lot closer than many of those mentioned (Lawrenceville, GA, near Atlanta).

You get a new set of Operating Limitations, which must be carried in the plane. They seem to be very restrictive, but in my case after careful reading they only apply after a major modification, and then only for a certain number of hours.

In any case, I'm right near the TN/GA/NC border - nearest airport is Copperhill, TN (1A3). Great destination if you want to fly in and chew the fat.

*I have an extra "EXPERIMENTAL" decal if you need it. I ordered two, thinking one was required on each side of the plane. As stated earlier, only one is required if it can be seen by any enplaning passenger.

thanks for all the info!

there is one sticker in the ctsw that says somthing like this aircraft is a SLSA and has a special airwothiness...........you get hte idea.

i assume i would remove that one?

and im correct that the experimaental only goes on one side? I fly from the right seat, so i put it outside the aircraft on the left side?

this fireproof plate i read about is that something i have to add to the aircraft as well or is the serial plate on the tail still sufficient?

mack

with my ctsw as a SLSA what is my "current flight restrictions" im suppose to have this when i meet the DAR??????

mack

My guess would be that that would be covered under "Operating Limitations" in your POH.

But I'm not an expert here so its just a guess.

Roger

Remember how i got my plane (pieces)......

I have no documnetation other than the poh....so i havent a clue what they are asking me for!

Thats why i asked you guys......i will assume you dont know what the limitations are?

Thanks as always

mack

i will look through my poh.....if i cant find something about limitations i guess i can call sebring since they sold the plane new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi-

This is a great thread that I have come back to read several times now. I have been flying Light Sport aircraft for several years now. I currently own a 2005 Aerostar Festival R40S that is currently registered S-LSA. It is a neat Romanian built sport plane that I love flying.

I am ready to begin the process of converting its registration to E-LSA in accordance with 14 CFR §21.191(i)(3). I have all the paperwork completed and the required documents and placards etc., on hand.

What I am still working on is the specific wording to use in a couple spots on my program letter. I have written acceptable program letters in the past, but none that were specifically for an S-LSA to E-LSA conversion. There are lots of examples out there of other FAA program letters for reference, but what I would really like to see an example of on that has been used for this specific conversion process. Anybody here have a copy of one they could post or direct me to?

The program letter is often discussed, and its general intent I already understand. What would really help me at this time is to just be able to reference a relevant example.

Thanks in advance-

Larry

I had my CTSW converted from SLSA to ELSA at Oshkosh at the LSRM-A class byDAR Brian Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation. I recommend them. Google them and ask them. It was a pretty simple deal. I had to change the Light Sport sign to Experimental and had to add a different passenger warning decal.

Archived