1st. BFR in my LPA

rookie

Recently I did my first BFR in my LPA (little plastic airplane). What a blast; the LPA was awesome, I was less than awesome. Never the less we had a lot of fun and it was the easiest BFR I had. My check pilot is a friend and the local examiner. One of those natural pilots who can fly anything with wings…like Eric. You know; the kind we mere mortals hate. Anyway he was looking forward to it as he’s never flown an LSA. This made the flight easy since 1/3 of the time he was doing the flying, which he did very well.

I also learned how much easier the plane handled with the extra weight. When flying in AZ with Eric I assumed it was less twitchy because of high density alt. Now I know weight really makes a difference. I’m usually solo approx. 900+ lbs. gross.

Obviously my friend was impressed with take-off & climb (we turned cross wind before leaving the airport) but more surprised at aileron control in a full stall. He just hung there fully stalled waging the wings back and forth. For our short field take off we were airborne in 200+ feet (according to runway lights); I was showing off and just as surprised as he was.

I had to do three emergency landing since he thought the first two were flukes. He kept saying “ you’ll never make it”, I kept saying “I’m too high”. I was right, had to slip it and even then add flaps to put it down. The third one I elected go around, if it had been real I could have gone to 40 flaps and made it but wasn’t sure how it would react with the extra weight and didn’t want to chance it. Finally he said “what the heck is the glide ratio on this thing”? I said 14/1; actually since I was 2000rpm (I won’t go lower) it probably was much more. I’ve done real engine out landings with a 152 and didn’t notice a big difference but it will be a long time (if ever) that I’ll try it in the LPA.

Bottom line, it was a lot of fun but I don’t expect the next one will be so easy.

al meyer

Interesting on the BFR content. It sounds like the instructor determined what you need to do. I've approached the BFR as a learning opportunity to work on those things I feel that I could use some pointers. Last time, I told the CFI (beforehand) that I wanted to do some pattern work to improve my landings and also spend 30 minutes under the hood. I've never had the CFI differ from my suggested agenda.

Interesting on the BFR content. It sounds like the instructor determined what you need to do. I've approached the BFR as a learning opportunity to work on those things I feel that I could use some pointers. Last time, I told the CFI (beforehand) that I wanted to do some pattern work to improve my landings and also spend 30 minutes under the hood. I've never had the CFI differ from my suggested agenda.

Normally we do the same, last time I wanted to do emergency procedures so we did offf field landings & real engine out landings. The time before that was instrument work. This time was different because mine is one of three lSA in the whole area and the only CT north of Twin Cities. Everyone is interested in the it's capabilty and of course I wanted to show it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived