Trutrak DigiFlight IIvs problems

CT4ME

I'll confirm those TruTrak folks have been great. Over the last couple of years they never hesitated to help, and gave ample advice. It turned out the problem was the first thing they suggested... "wired backwards"!!!

I'll try the "trim" thing next time I'm up... it's a matter of finding out if the "left-wing up" thing is compensating for some bad left-rudder trim, or if it's the aileron trim itself. I'm thinking, when this gets all sorted out, my Skeeter should be finally trimmed right!

Another question... if I may. If I do a "direct to" in the GPS, does the AP pick that up as a "route/track" and fly it? (if in the right mode?)

thanx

Tim

Tim, I didn't think about rudder trim but if it were out of trim, the A/P may drop a wing to keep you on track. First thing would be to straighten out the wiring. Then, maybe trim the rudder for proper "ball" location, then trim for level wings, then turn A/P on an see what you get?

When you select "direct to" on your GPS, and then select "mode" on the A/P, you will see a "Nav" on the A/P display. The "Nav" means the A/P is connected to the GPS and it is using GPS output to fly to your next route point. If you set up a trip and store numerous route points in your GPS, it will fly to the next point and will turn your plane to until it intercepts the track to your next route point, then go to the next, etc. If only one point in the GPS, then it will fly you there. When the plane turns at the route points, this is really neat. The display shows your actual ground "track" direction which is something I really like. Guess one can tell I'm liking the TruTrak? :-)

Once again, TruTrak comes through... the tech support guys say the "left-wing-up" condition is caused by rudder trim issue.... it's compensating for left rudder by dipping the right wing, in order to fly straight.

Also, without a seconds thought, they offered to replace the screen and update the firmware. The screen has a couple of horizontal streaks through it.

Thanks for the input...

Tim

I thought that the Nav mode on the AP just flew you at the current settings and that the GPS mode actually followed the course set up on your GPS.

Arnold, when I activate the A/P, it holds the current altitude and maintains the track. If I select "mode" and have a "direct to" set up in my GPS, the A/P will display "GPS Nav" and the A/P will hold present altitude and will follow the route that is in the GPS (the A/P is "slaved" to the GPS). If I have 3 waypoints in the GPS, the A/P will follow these to my destination. If I press "mode" again, it will turn off the "GPS Nav" and go back to altitude hold and track hold.

This may have already been mentioned but I didn't see it... When you turn on the AP, you can hold down the mode button for a few seconds and it will "calibrate" the internal gyro to a wing level setting also, I think. It may be a HDG setting, I'm not sure.

However, after I did this calibration, the wings were level and the HDG was consistent. I was shown this a long time ago when I first got the plane, but can't remember who. Just make sure your plane is on completely level ground so it'll give it a standard to base by.

Anyone else who has done this please chime in.

John

I had a word with Lucas form Trutrak the other day and he said-- with the aircraft stationary, the AP disengaged ,press the encoder knob in for 40 sec. during which time the words GYRO SET will be displayed, and carry on holding for the full 40 sec., and this should sort everything out. (He also mentioned, this could also be done in the hangar)

We have a public holiday this Friday and hope to get this right once and for all.

Have to say, the new blue display is a big improvement!

Regards

Bruce

A friend brought my AP back from Oshkosh with the new blue screen (2nd time),reconnected and she was all over the place--Urrrgh!! stopped, read the manual x10, and started all settings from step 1. and she was still all over the place. I then phoned Lucas and he said --hold the centre button for 40 sec for "Gyroset" and go test. On test she was still all over the place, did'nt work. Fri 24 was a Public Holiday here and I thought it was an ideal opportunity to phone TT for assistance. I spoke to Zak, and asked him to talk me through the settings. (have to tell All, my AP was fine before I sent it to the US for the new screen) He asked for my name, called it up on screen, read my original settings back to me, and whooopie! all back to norm. These Guys are on the ball!!

Advice to all TT/AP--- nothing wrong with holding in the Centre Encoder knob , to see "gyro set" before take off!

Kind Regards to All,

Bruce

Bruce, I'm getting my TT back today and have a question regarding your comments. You say,

"Advice to all TT/AP--- nothing wrong with holding in the Centre Encoder knob , to see "gyro set" before take off!

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Are you recommending that we set the gyro after getting the TT AP back from service? I have a log of all of my settings so I suspect that I will have to refer to these and reset my unit upon receiving it from TT. Thanks.

Yes Dick, with all I'm learning regarding an auto pilot, as one goes through normal checks before take off, there is nothing wrong with checking that "gyroset" displays on the screen. (just a check!) peace of mind that gyros are set, especially before a long flight sothat the AP does not drift etc. Page 10 of the operating handbook refers heading--"GYROSET"--- When the initilizing has been done correctly, the gyros should already be centered at time of take off. What I'm refering to is ("If confirmation of this is desired, with the aircraft stationary on the runway and the AP disengaged, pressing and holding the encoder knob will put the gyros in the fast centering mode.) The knob should be depressed for approx. 10 sec. during which time GYROSET will be displayed.

Just good practice and confidence that the internal gyros are set.

Regarding your last para. If your AP has been at TT it has powered down. Confirm all your settings are as you had them before service, and yes, I would definitely do a gyroset before take off. Like saying hello buddy I'm back, I see you! lets go have fun!

Have a hassel free AP check ride.

Kind Regards

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the info. Setting the gyros seems like a good thing to do, especially if all it takes is holding the knob in for a few seconds. I got my TT back today and I've got to say that I'm really impressed with this company. They started working on my AP the same day it arrived. My AP is back to me four days after it was received by TT and I live a good distance away - I'm in the Northern U.S. and TT is in the Southern U.S. My unit was packaged in a luxurious amount of soft foam in an oversize box. The shipping must have cost quite a lot for my unit to be packaged this way. What a great company. If anyone is considering installation of an auto pilot or electronic ADI (I also have a TT ADI), I would HIGHLY recommend that you give TT a good look.

Hi,

Bought my '06 SW earlier this year and after an interesting transition (from C 172 & 182) I found I love the AC but the TruTrack A/P was an annoying toy at best. Read some of the stuff here and went back to the POH and install manual (check the doc. is always the last step). After 3/4 hr reading and 10 min. in the A/C (including 40 sec."gyroset"). I flew this morning. This A/P is at least as good as the STEC I grew up with (in fact easier to use).

Don't give up, check the docs. and call the vendor.

Thanks all you guys who showed me the way.

• 2 months later...

I have to verify how good TruTrak is to work with. I just installed a new TT Autopilot, and we had it wired backward. Tore our hair out trying to figure out what was wrong, but Lucas from the factory went the extra mile in helping us figure out how to get it going. Another issue was that when the display back lighting was on bright the autopilot goes haywire. Putting some electrical tape over the photocell, dimmed the display, and the autopilot worked fine. TruTrak is sending me another unit that doesn't have this problem. I used my new autopilot yesterday for the first time while flying from Idaho to Arizona, and it worked great! I wish I had installed it long ago.

Bob

Bob, I don't know if you realize it but there is a forum for TruTrak users. It is full of information and guys like Lucas hang out there and answer questions. This should be the link:

http://trutrakap.com/forum/index.php

I feel that TT is a quality company that supports their products and customers extremely well.

Runtoeat, Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that there was a TruTrak forum. Hopefully I won't have to refer to it, now that mine is working great.

Ranger6, I go from Salmon,Idaho to Tucson,AZ It's about 775 nautical miles and usually takes a little over 7 hours flying time. I made one stop in Spanish Forks, Utah. Southern Utah has incredible scenery as you fly over it.

Archived