Roll springs / stick feel CTSW vs. CTLS

Lance Link

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra money for a CTLS over a CTSW (used of course). On the intro video for the CTLS in 2008, there was a comment to the effect that the roll springs were lightened up resulting in improved stick feel in the CTLS. But I've heard that the stick forces actually were stiffer in the early 2008 CTLS's, but lightened up (back to the same as the CTSW? Lighter?) in mid-2008. Are the CTLS stick forces and roll spring tension actually lighter than in the CTSW, if so how much lighter, and do certain models of the CTLS have this characteristic while others (earlier models) don't? Hopefully this isn't a subject that has been beat to death already, this is all new to me and I'm trying to get to the bottom of this question. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Lance,

I like the SW because it is lighter. FD did come out and try and make the LS with a little less sensitive stick, but over did it at first. Then they came back and lightened it up again, but it is still stiffer than the SW. Many of us like the way the SW handles. It really is no big deal either way. It is what you get used to. I prefer the light controls it is less work. Many that have flown both usually like the lighter feel once they get used to it. If you are used to flying a 182 station wagon then the controls on a CT are very light. If you are used to flying a CT then the 182 feels like your flying a brick without power steering. Which ever way you go you will like the SW or the LS.

Hi Kurt,

Lots of LS's too. It's high time pilots and CFI's that just think they don't need transition time into a light aircraft that has low kinetic energy. It's the ones that like to flare and round out 8' off the runway. It's the one's that bounce or balloon back in the air and won't go around.

Both the SW and LS are sporty on the controls compared to Cessna and Piper. The LS is a little less sensitive in pitch then the SW and has better yaw stability. The roll control is very similar in both. The LS does have a tougher main landing gear and a more open cockpit with the added rear windows, but does come in a few pounds heavier then the SW. You will be happy with either one, just get some transition training from a experienced CT instructor once you decide. They are different to fly compared to Cessna and piper, not hard just different.

Thanks all for the good feedback. I think I get the picture. It may come down to how much extra I end up thinking the newer model is worth, and what kind of deal presents itself. Coppercity, the plane I flew last week in Cameron Park (2007 model), and intend to get a little more time in, came from Bisbee. Maybe you know it. And if you happen to know Brett Van Gorp (owns a little hotel and rock quarry there) tell him his old boss from Coast Construction says hello.

Archived