GPS Intermittent? Something to check

Jim

After 3 years of solid-as-a-rock performance, my GPS started losing signals. After some airborne troubleshooting, I determined that shutting off the transponder would bring it back to life. Looking behind the panel, I could see that the GPS antenna cable was laying right next to the transponder antenna cable. Rerouting the GPS cable a few inches from the transponder cable fixed the problem. Neither cable was secured for the last 6 inches to allow for easy servicing and they were moved during the last annual, after which the problem appeared.

In retrospect, even though the both cables were shielded and both boxes work at different frequencies, with a 300 watt signal going out to the transponder and microvolt signals being listened to by the GPS, it's easy to see why the cables should always be separated by a few inches.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jim, my friend has a CTLS with Garmin 496 and the 496 will occasionally shut off and then reboot during flight. I'm thinking that it is loosing the signal which causes it to shut down temporarily and then re-start. Did your GPS act like this before repositioning the antennas?

Archived